Through a bio-conversion process on organic waste, we have developed a very sustainable source of natural protein for animal feed production
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Act for Biodiversity Challenge and that I am eligible to apply.
I am 18 years old or older.
Initiative's representative name
Edosa Daniel Ikponmwosa
Initiative's representative date of birth
February 3rd 1989
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
Website or social media url(s)
January / 2018
Growth (have moved past the very first activities; working toward the next level of expansion)
Yearly Budget : What is your current yearly budget for the initiative?
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
The idea of converting organic waste to animal feed came at a time I had a challenge meeting up with the increasing financial costs for fish feed in my farm. I asked a lot of fellow farmers and academic friends on possible and sustainable alternatives to mitigate this high costs of formulated fish feed, they did not exactly have a clear answer to this. In my quest, I stumbled on an online post about a company using larvae from black-soldier fly fed on organic waste to produce monogastric animal feed. This was a big win for me, I researched more into the process of how this works and have been able to successfully implement it locally in producing high-quality animal feed at a cheaper price and with good sustainability.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
We have developed a process that helps to solve three key global challenges of landfill waste, fish stock depletion and global greenhouse gas emissions. . A growing population, scarce water and land resources, makes this more critical than ever. For the conservation of marine stocks in the sea, the world urgently needs new sustainable alternatives to fishmeal for animal feed protein, and a feed production process that guarantees reduced landfill, with low carbon impact on the environment.
3. Your solution: How are you working to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
At Briflos Services, we have developed and tested a new scale and very sustainable source of natural protein for animal feed production, by using larvae from Black Soldier Fly insects. Larvae are a natural food for birds in the wild and fish in streams. Their nutritional composition is as good as that of fishmeal and far better than that of soya.
Our bio-conversion process takes organic waste from landfills, food factories, supermarkets, farms and restaurants, and recycles these into valuable products: an insect based complete protein feed we call PROMAG FEED.
Promag is our core product. It is made from sustainable, dried and defatted insect larvae, which are ground and pelletized into a high quality protein meal suitable for farmed animal consumption including, fish, pig and chicken. It is a suitable abd sustainable replacement for fishmeal.
Briflos Services provides the much needed solution to the nutritional, economic, health and environmental needs of animal protein feed, with the use of insect-larvae. Our simple and efficient waste nutrient recycling process, delivers reduced land fill, lower pressure on marine stocks, and reduces environmental carbon impact.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
Promag Feed is the result of valuable research and analysis on the nutritional value of insect larvae to farmed animals. It is an entirely natural super feed, with excellent weight take-on and digestibility properties. Promag feed is designed to result in improved feed conversion rates in animal diet.
1. Alternative, better quality, cheaper and more sustainable source of animal feed protein. The uniqueness of our product technology definitely gives us a distinctive market positioning and customer experience. Our higher-quality animal feed guarantees improved animal production and growth parameters compared to other available farm animal
2. Production process gives valuable by-products, used as soil conditioners.
5. Collaboration: How does your initiative seek to bring key players together to preserve biodiversity?
We wish to engage the scientific community and policy makers on the need to foster reseach and develop policy framework for the effective nutrient recycling/conversion process of organic waste to animal protein feed that meets the environmental, economic, health and nutritional benefits of monogastric farmed animals.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far — in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
• Our waste-to-protein process guarantees reduced landfill, low carbon impact on the environment. Every tonne of our Promag feed produced, results in an environmental cost saving of $200. This is achieved in the form of avoided fossil fuel consumption, land use and carbon emission.
• Our product supports Goals 2,3,12 and 14 of the United Nation Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
• Our sustainable waste-to-protein feed production process encourages the conservation of marine stocks in the sea. Every 100kg of our Promag feed produced per day, saves 600 fish in the sea/day, which would have otherwise been used for fishmeal production for animal feed
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
1. Initiate the process for obtaining Regulatory licenses/permits from NAFDAC and SON
2. Purchase a 100*200 piece of land to locate our factory and commence civil works on it.
3. Purchase and install the needed factory equipment.
4. Secure supply agreement with key stakeholders (fish farmers and fish feed distributors) in our market segment
5. Schedule quarterly and specialized training for staff and management of Briflos Services
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for society? Or different stakeholders?
1. We create wealth for animal farmers, by offering a better quality and price competitive alternate to their animal protein needs.
2. Or product has a direct and positive impact on marine stocks, carbon emissions and toxic leachates from landfill.
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
As our Revenue and profit increases, proceeds from retained earnings annually for the next 5years, will be invested back into our business, to expand our product lines and enable us take on new markets, including exportation of our products to other markets within Africa.
50% of the profit from our quarterly earnings business will be re-invested back to service other areas in our business, in order to expand production capacity, increase sales volume and take on new markets.
We will also secure a 14-day payable period from our suppliers, which will also aid our revenue build-up, and our re-invested profit assures steady growth for our business.
10. Team: what is the current composition of your current team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
MD/CEO: He gives direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organisation’s vision, mission and objectives.
Product Development Manager: A certified safety professional, who ensures feed safety and quality control processes are followed in the production of Promag Feed.
Marketting Head: A qualified marketing professional responsible for generating leads towards existing and new markets for our product.
Head of Finance Department ensures proper financial accounting in our operation
11. How did you hear about this challenge?