How do we create a waste-free future? Nestlé is on the lookout for system-changing projects that will support its vision of ensuring that none of our packaging, including plastics, ends up in landfill or as litter.
Together with Ashoka, the Creating Shared Value Prize will reward and support innovative solutions that address packaging waste.
Are you innovating in sustainable packaging? We want to hear from you!
*for a better viewing experience, please select 'English' on the language bar on the bottom right of the page.
With packaging waste, including plastics, continuing to accumulate in landfills and in our oceans, endangering wildlife, tackling plastic pollution has never been so pressing. At the same time, packaging plays an important role in safely delivering food and beverages to consumers and reducing food loss and waste.
Nestle's vision is that none of their packaging, including plastics, ends up in landfill or as litter. Nestlé committed to make 100% of its packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025 and to reduce its use of virgin plastics by one-third in the same period.
Nestlé has made strides in its transformative journey towards a waste-free future. They are taking actions by using new and recyclable materials for packaging; second, by investing in waste management infrastructure; and third, by working with consumers, customers and society in general to encourage responsible behavior.
They know that they have more work to do and are determined to look at every option to solve complex packaging challenges and embrace multiple solutions that can have an immediate impact.
This is why we are looking for the changemakers that need to be put in the spotlight and support social enterprises that address critical issues facing communities around the world.
The Nestlé Creating Shared Value (CSV) Prize aims at rewarding and supporting innovative solutions to address global challenges and connecting the most promising innovations with Nestlé for the benefit of the prize winners, Nestlé, and the broader society.
The Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize 2020, in partnership with Ashoka, aims to identify system-changing projects that will support Nestlé's visions that none of our packaging, including plastics, ends up in landfill or as litter.
We look for high-quality initiatives that address challenges such as:
- What alternative pragmatic, simple materials and safe ways to protect food & beverage can be offered?
- How can production models and delivery systems be redesigned to eliminate waste?
- What can food & beverage packaging become after consumption to be a resource for new usage?
- What ground-up solutions are there to tackle packaging waste in communities?
- How can consumers, suppliers, and producers be incentivized to adopt a circularity mindset?
- Be 18 years old or older by the time they apply.
- Have incorporated as a nonprofit, for-profit, or hybrid organization, or have a fiscal sponsor.
- Be fluent in English (winners will be expected to engage in activities that require English proficiency).
- Only one application per initiative will be accepted.
- Entries will only be accepted in English.
- This is a global challenge accepting entries from every country.
- Employees of Nestlé S.A. and their parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, joint ventures, advertising agencies, promotion agencies and other service providers for this prize, their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, regardless of where they reside) and those living in the same household are not eligible.
- Partners or initiatives that are already financed or supported by Nestlé S.A., its affiliates, subsidiaries or joint ventures are not eligible.
- The initiative should demonstrate a solid foundation of compliance and a culture of respect.
Potential for Creating Shared Value: The initiative should exemplify the concept that business can be a force for good, by simultaneously creating value for shareholders and for society at large (individuals, families, communities, and the planet).
Potential for System Change: The project should aim to drive a wider system change: A consolidated idea that proposes a frame change with clear evidence of strong quality of social impact. The initiative considers or has the potential for cross-industry and cross-sector leadership approach to guide collective and collaborative action.
Innovation: The initiative must represent an innovative approach to the problem it seeks to address, either through new methods, models, or technologies, or application of old methods, models, or technologies in a new way.
Financial Viability: The initiative must be built on a sound and viable business model, and/or show realistic and long-term plans for financial sustainability, and must have the potential to continue beyond the CSV Prize funding.
Potential for Scaling / Replication: The initiative should demonstrate strong growth potential and/or replicability to other social, cultural, or geographical settings. The initiative should demonstrate the ability to create large-scale change, having the capacity and skills to influence the sector at large.
Potential for Collaboration with Nestlé and its Employees: The initiative resonates with Nestlé's vision to unlock the power of food to enhance quality of life for everyone, today and for generations to come. The entrant is willing to potentially collaborate with Nestlé as a means to scale their impact.
- Entry period: 30 September 2020 until 30 December 2020
- Review Round 1: 4 January 2021 until 25 January 2021
- Refinement Questions: 26 January 2021 until 9 February 2021
- Review Round 2: 10 February 2021 until 1 March 2021
- Finalists Announcement: April 2021
- Winners Announcement: May 2021
- Webinar, Workshops, Mentoring and Support: March 2021 until June 2021
All eligible participants will:
- Receive customized feedback delivered by Nestlé's employees, trained by Ashoka.
- Participate in a webinar on system change.
- Have the potential to be selected as an Ashoka Fellow.
Finalists (up to 10) will gain access to:
- Workshops to explore the potential of collaboration with Nestlé and its employees.
- A virtual workshop on co-creation and system change with key Nestlé employees and Ashoka.
- One Ashoka Europe Fellowship module (system change, new leadership, hybrid social finance, replication and transfer, OR well-being).
Specially Commended (up to 5) & Winner will:
- Receive cash prize up to CHF 250 000 to be allocated to the 5 specially commended and the overall winner (based on the ranking and project sizes).
- Mentoring from Nestlé employees.
- Gain visibility through Ashoka and Nestlé's media and social media activities.
Click here to access the Terms and Conditions of Use