BirdPreneur Rural Initiative: Creating the opportunity for young people to become self-reliant through poultry
BirdPreneur Rural Initiative is an empowerment scheme designed for young unemployed youth for wealth creation through the poultry value
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
BirdPreneur Farms Venture
Growth (the pilot has already launched and is starting to expand)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Abeokuta, Ogun state. Nigeria
Location(s) of impact
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
In Nigeria, West Africa’s largest countries, between 40%-50% of youths are unemployed. Overall, the youth unemployment rate in Nigeria stands at an unacceptable level in excess of 35%! Although poultry farming is an excellent source of livelihood, but unemployed youth in remote rural areas continue to struggle with significantly high-level of poverty& this is due to inadequate financial support, farm input, & training needed for them to succeed.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
BirdPreneur Rural Initiative is a social innovation initiated to create livelihoods, boost income and inspire lasting social change in the lives of rural youths. Using the BRI techniques, we empower young people in rural areas to become business owners. Participants are selected through community information sessions, youth coalitions and community based organizations. Participants are connected to our training and production facility where they receive training in micro meat& egg production techniques, entrepreneurship skills, applied math and financial management skills. Participants are provided with their own chicken coops, feed, pullet supply and most importantly guaranteed sales of their produce. 10% portions of the produce produced are left for the micro-business owners. The remaining 90% are purchased and collected by Birdpreneur staff and sold in the major city markets.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
1) Directly benefitted livelihood of 158 young unemployed youth in Ogun state, Nigeria.
2) provided nutritionally-enhanced product (organic) benefiting indirectly a minimum of 5,000 individuals.
3) Contributed to organic nutrition and environmental sustainability, we have worked with 80% of our micro-poultry business owners to breed free range chickens.
1. Farmers turning waste into wealth (poultry waste sold or used as manures).
2. Economic empowerment for young people.
3. Increased jobs created.
4. Reduced crime.
By 2018, BirdPreneur will have directly impacted 500 rural youths and 60,000 households indirectly. By the end of 2019, BirdPreneur would have served 1,000 rural youths and 200,000 households.
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
Through sales and more sales of the produce we generate via our micro-business owners! We plan to be financially sustainable majorly through the sales of our meat and egg products sold to mainstream (hotels, restaurants, shopping mall, and mom and pop shops in the major cities.
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
BP uses entrepreneurial&social innovation model that turned youth into selfsufficient entrepreneurs
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
BirdPreneur Rural Initiative started from the inspiration drawn after working within the rural community in southwestern Nigeria. We saw an opportunity as an existing venture to help the unemployed living in the communities where we have farms so the initiative started. Our model is a win-win arrangement that seeks to ensure that good quality chicken meat that meets safety standards are readily available to all Nigerians through the development poultry outgrowing structure that is profitable to both farmers and agribusiness at minimal risks. It is aimed at repositioning the poultry outgrower service by supporting the establishment of new broiler farms and expansion of existing ones in every nook and cranny of the country.
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?
Upon recommendation from others