BLACK SOLDIER FLY ORGANIC WASTE TREATMENT PROJECT
Treats organic waste, whiles producing nutrient rich larvae and compost for agricultural purposes
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Start-Up (a pilot that has just started operating)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Location(s) of impact
Ghana, Akoti, Sefwi-Wiawso district
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
1. Waste management in rural and urban areas of Ghana is poor, with the presence of open dumps and poorly managed landfills.
2. There is increasing evidence that continual usage of chemical fertilizers is degrading soils.
3. Fish meal and other protein source for animal husbandry is expensive for farmers
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
1. The black soldier fly composting project therefore uses, larvae to compost organic waste, reducing the waste going to the landfill by about 60%
2. The end product being nutrient rich larval biomass which can be used to replace fish meal in animal feed and compost which can be used to fertilize soils.
3. This method is a relatively cheaper method of dealing with waste and will create jobs.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
Reduction in the amount of waste going to the landfill at the pilot site at the Chirano Gold Mines
Community members appreciating how waste can become useful
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
Individual gifts and donation = 60%
Earned income = 40%
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
Solves several problems with one unique sustainable idea
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
When i observed the black soldier fly larvae feeding on discarded pig manure in the bush at a pig farm in kumasi
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?