CEO and Co-founder, Caya Constructs
We provide a complete sanitation solution: precast factory-built toilets, on-site sanitation systems, O&M, behaviour change, app-based M&E
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Scaling (the solution has passed the previous stages and is growing its impact on a regional or global scale)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Location(s) of impact
India: 100 cities- Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Faridabad, Karnal, Kaithal, Ambala, Narnaul, Yamunanagar, Katni, Jabalpur, Jaisalmer, Nagpur, Dausa, Mohali
www.cayaconstructs.com (under construction)
Caya constructs work video showcasing the sanitation products and their impact
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
Nearly 530 million (40%) people in India defecate in open & 120,000 children die from diarrhea due to poor sanitation. Nearly 200,000 metric tons of fecal load contaminates soil & water bodies daily. About 85 million toilets are still needed in India. Also, usage is low due to unhygienic conditions, poor ventilation & odour in the toilets built. Our project is aligned with SDGs & Government of India’s flagship ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ to address the above challenges & make India open defecation free by October 2019.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
Our complete sanitation solution is a sustainable one and is designed for the masses. It addresses both supply & demand-side sanitation challenges. Our solutions include:
• High-quality, factory-made, quick to produce, easy to install toilet for households & communities (help achieve scale)
• Optimally designed structures that are compact, space sufficient, well-ventilated & ensure privacy (sustainable)
• On-site sanitation units (septic tanks/ bio-digesters) for effective waste management. The multi- chamber design of the tanks provides a longer hydraulic path for effective digestion of waste & safe discharge of effluent water in the ground by way of soak pits
• Daily cleaning & maintenance services by well-trained army of cleaning soldiers
• Community outreach & behaviour change communication (BCC) campaigns
• App-based M&E for real-time data for evidence-based decision-making
We have successfully implemented this model in the largest slum areas in Jaipur and Jodhpur.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
We have already reached 8 states & 100 cities. By the end of this year, we will provide access to community & households toilets to 1 million people & maintain 5,000 community toilet seats. The impact that our venture is creating includes:
• Convenient access to clean toilets, especially in the space-constrained urban slums
• Health benefits for regular users of Caya toilets, leading to productivity gains
• Environmental benefits due to eco-friendly construction & reduced water consumption in our toilets, ensuring minimum carbon footprint
• Reduced contamination of groundwater & other natural resources
• Women safety & dignity
• Job creation for people at bottom of the pyramid
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
At present, Caya is selling the solution at a price higher than the cost price & making profits. Government funds construction, operations & maintenance (O&M), and behaviour change communication (BCC). Caya’s business models will evolve to ensure financial sustainability in the long-run. BCC will continue to be funded by government. Once sustained increase in demand is achieved, Caya will finance the Build-Own-Operate model (in some cases, BUILD can be partly subsidized). Other business models will be piloted and scaled-up (e.g., Transact @ Toilet and integration of other health services).
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
We are the only ones to provide sanitation solutions along the complete value chain. Our innovative toilet superstructures are our USP. Brick & mortar toilets have slow & inconsistent construction. Prefabricated plastic & steel structures are unsuitable for Indian weather, costly, not eco-friendly, fragile & have short life span. In comparison, Caya products are factory-made from minimum M-25 grade RCC; standardized; of consistent quality; suitable for slums; & easy to transport & install.
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
Staggering gaps in sanitation were evident but solutions were lacking. But when the Indian Prime Minister announced the ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ with very clear targets and timelines, Caya got its ‘Aha!’ moment. We kick started the innovation of a complete sanitation solution for the masses in line with Caya’s philosophy of scale and impact.
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?