Farm crop bye-products usage and soil fertility sustainability
Make Farm crop bye-products into pellets
Feed livestocks on pellets
Manure for farming,employment opportunities along the value chain
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Moyo Adegoke Farm Ventures
Growth (the pilot has already launched and is starting to expand)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Moyo Adegoke Farm Ventures,Off Osun State University Osogbo-Cocker Road,Aajo,Oniyere Area,Cocker Osun State Nigeria.
Location(s) of impact
Nigeria: Osogbo,Obokun Local Government Area,
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
Farm crop bye-products e.g palm oil meal exudates, Kernel,& Rice plantation are available in my farming community. Palm oil meal exudates are not utilized at all,rice processing machine not available,kernel are left unprocessed. Continuous farming is the practice here,soil fertility is depreciating. If these products are processed,utilized to feed livestocks,manure used in growing crops,soil fertility will be sustained,conflicts between livestocks & crop farmers resolved and employment generation along the value chain.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
1. Palm oil meal exudates that is underutilized will be useful.
2. Available kernel processed for PKC and PK oil
3. Available raw rice processed into edible rice and rice bran
4. Feedstuffs made available for local livestocks and Fulani cattle owners within and outside my farming community
5. Avoidance of competition for available farmland by livestocks and crop farmers due to availability of feedstuffs
6. Long term sustainability of soil fertility within the community.
7. Improved capacity for raising livestocks within the community due to available feedstuffs
8. Avoidance of usage of inorganic fertilizer due to availability of farmyard manure within the community.
9. Increase in yield of crop farmers due to sustained soil fertility within my farming community.
10. Moyo Adegoke Farm Ventures will serve as a model and a yardstick for measurement and evaluation in my farming community and beyond.
11. Employment generation along the value chain.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
1. Sustenance of soil fertility due to manure been made available to farmers at a minimal cost within the farming community.
2. The farm feed-mill also provide feed for local farmers at a minimal cost.
3. The farm serves as a major yardstick for measurement and standardization within.
4. Avoidance of conflicts between livestocks and crop farmers due to available feedstuffs.
5. Avoidance of long travels before accessing consultancy services and processing of farm products within the community.
1. Palm oil meal exudate is a waste generated from palm oil extraction and it is a major pollutant to the environment,hence its utilization comes as a major relieve to its negative environmental impact.
2. Making organic manure available helps to sustain soil fertility.
3. Avoidance of over-grazing by livestock farmers within the community as we make feedstuffs available for them as an alternative.
4. Using livestock waste for farming.
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
1. Individual donations or gifts
3. Corporate contributions
4. Earned income
5. Government incentives
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
Considering the utilization farm crop bye-products found within our location and making it available for our usage and other livestocks farmers within,we consider ourselves as a major influence.
Conflicts between livestocks and crop farmers has reduced tremendously because of our impact.
Regular availability of organic manure for crop farming and sustainable soil fertility is part of our impact.
Employment generation along the value chain.
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
High cost of inorganic manure,and its resulting non availability for me in pursuing my dream as a farmer pushed me to start using farm yard manure.
More livestocks is equivalent more farmyard manure for my use hence livestocks compete with man for food,these farm bye-products within my farming community which i processed locally,make into pellets,use in feeding my livestocks,sell at affordable prices to other farmers to feed their livestocks equates more livestocks which subsequently make more farmyard manure available for myself and other farmers. This has greatly increased our capacity towards sustainable food production in a soil friendly manner.
Globally food production is increasing at arithmetic progression while population growth is increasing at a geometric progression. The world is raising more hungry mouths daily, this gap we are poised to fill. I celebrate you.
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?