Join the Pipe Water Kiosk at school
A Primary school based and students managed business selling clean tap water to community residents at affordable price.
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Growth (the pilot has already launched and is starting to expand)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Nonprofit, NGO, or citizen sector
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Location(s) of impact
Kenya: Nairobi, Bungoma and Siaya County
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
In Kenya it is estimated that only a 1/3 of the population has access to safe drinking water close to their homes at an affordable price. Therefore, every morning school going children have to wake up early to walk long distance so as to secure water for their families from river /well before going to school, causing absenteeism resulting to school drop-outs.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
- The first microcredit project for schools with a sustainable business model, for WASH activities in school.
- A repaid loan system that is redeployed to additional schools in need, thus reducing the need for subsidies and dependency.
IMPROVED SANITATION AND HEALTH :
- All sanitation facilities are improved around the school, the money from the water kiosk is used to purchase soap and toilet paper for the school children.
- Reduce the physical injury from lifting and carrying heavy loads of water on the heads of the children.
- Increased safety as children do not have to go to remote places to fetch water.
EDUCATION AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT :
- Increase school attendance .
- A place for work experience to learn about teamwork; leadership and responsibility.
- Children are able to transport more water to their own houses.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
- Since the project launch in November 2013, we have successfully built 9 water kiosks across 9 schools/communities in Kenya’s three (3) counties (Nairobi, Bungoma and Siaya) directly serving 4338 students and 70587 People around these communities on daily basis.
- In 2016 we also built one (1) public drinking tap water station in Nairobi’s main recreational Park (Uhuru Park) and this station is providing drinking tap water free of charge to 400 – 500 people on daily basis.
- We have also distributed over 5000 re-usable water bottles.
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
By pre-financing a school to set up the kiosk, within 24 months the school is able to earn more than enough money from clean tap water selling to community residents at affordable price , and repay the set up cost which is then redeployed to additional school/community.
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
It provides everybody in the community with clean Tap water .
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
A water kiosk at school was inspired by personal experience growing up in rural and poor communities with non-access to tap water. And the 2012 - 2013, International Transformation Foundation members research project about sustainable clean drinking water system. One of the main insights gained is that all communities wish to improve their water system. Some communities do not have a working water system in their village at all.
The Problem with current water projects in Kenya’s communities can be divided in:
1)the water system with the technical components to get groundwater to the tap and
2)the paying system that describes what to pay for, how to maintain the system and how the business is set up; the social system.
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?