Rare, healthy sugars as a full or partial replacement for unhealthy sweeteners
Rare sugars are delicious and nutritious, with POSITIVE health benefits. Our novel enzymatic technology makes them AFFORDABLE.
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Bonumose Biochem LLC
Start-Up (a pilot that has just started operating)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Location(s) of impact
Globally, when we are in production
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
Diabetes and obesity are epidemics of global scope. Poor dental health and poor gut health are global problems, too. Much of the blame rests with excess consumption of traditional sugars, such as sucrose and HFCS. People's desire for sweet things is universal, and is not going away despite what doctors advise. Hence, we propose to satisfy the desire with RARE SUGARS that are delicious, nutritious, fully functional in foods, and - because of novel technology - AFFORDABLE. Examples includes tagatose, allulose and allose.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
As detailed in our attached deck, our technology permits the production of healthy sugars at low-cost due to (a) lower cost raw material, (b) efficient processes, and (c) extremely high yields. With strategic collaborators, we will have our ingredient production plants in countries throughout the world, and will rely on locally-sourced, starch-containing plants. For example, in SE Asia, our plant of choice will be cassava or rice.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
We are too early stage to have had much of an impact. We are actively engaged in strategic collaboration discussions with companies on four continents.
Financial sustainability plan: How is this initiative financially supported? How will you ensure its financial sustainability long-term?
We raised investment capital from financial and strategic investors. Going forward, we will be supported by positive cash flow. We believe the best sustainability plan is one that is financially sustainable.
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that sparked the beginning of this initiative.
Our Founding Vision:
1. We will earn a position among the world’s most trusted producers of healthy food ingredients and related products.
2. We will: (a) satisfy consumers’ desires for nutritious and delicious foods; (b) help alleviate pervasive human suffering from diabetes, obesity, poor dental health, and poor gut health; and (c) do so at prices that are affordable for the mass market.
3. We will (a) provide meaningful, productive, and rewarding work opportunities for individuals who want them; (b) will create well-deserved wealth for its owners, customers and suppliers.
4. We will strive to have a positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of (a) our employees; (b) the communities where our factories are located; (c) our suppliers; (d) our customers; and (e) the consumers of our products.
5. We will conduct business a moral imperative.
6. We will think long-term.
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?