Six hundred and thirty-three million people in the world today lack access to clean drinking water due to inadequate or absent infrastructur
AQUA HD is offering a unique solution to this problem by designing a mobile, ‘plug and play’, low-cost water purification process .
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria, and based on its description, I am eligible to apply to the CSV Prize 2017.
Separation & Filtration systems
Established (the solution has passed the previous stages and demonstrated success)
Annual budget in 2017 (USD)
Number of beneficiaries impacted so far
Headquarters location: Country
Headquarters location: City
Location(s) of impact
Problem: What problem is this initiative trying to address?
Six hundred and thirty-three million people in the world today lack access to clean drinking water due to inadequate or absent infrastructure. These are usually populations that are poor, not just in money but also education and health.
Solution Summary: What is the proposed solution? What do you see as its most promising aspects for creating shared value?
One of the most important treatment stages in the purification of fresh and surface water is the separation and removal of suspended solids. The current technologies involved in this process tend to have the following fundamental disadvantages:
- Inefficiency. Current technologies have an inability to be able to treat a wide range of solids in water that results in wastefulness and added cost.
- Huge investment. Traditional systems require a large area of land on which to operate, resulting in high building costs, as well as massive ongoing maintenance and retrofitting expenditure
- Negative environmental impact. Because of the large area of land required and the heavy infrastructures involved, traditional systems can have a negative impact on the local environment. This is mainly due to the clearance of vegetation and disruption of the complex ecosystem that depends on it.
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Specify both the social and the environmental impact of your work
When comparing the investment in Aqua-HD technology to a traditional purification system the following savings can be made (this is also explained through the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo9zIUxIWvs):
- Saving up to 40% of CAPEX while upgrading.
- Saving up to 70% in construction costs.
- Saving 70-80% in required floor space.
- Saving on installation time since the system is ‘plug and play’.
Unique value proposition: What makes your initiative innovative? How does your project differ from other organizations working in the same field?
Traditional purification systems cannot handle extreme environmental fluctuations, such as the downpours in the rainy season of many underdeveloped countries. Heavy precipitation causes dirt to be deposited into the water, which creates a greater solids load than the current technologies can deal with. Often, due to impaired efficiency, the operators will shut down the plant completely and as a result costly backup systems must be added to support the plant so handle such conditions. The product
Where did you hear about the Nestlé Creating Shared Value Prize?