Project Vidhi --Skill Development and Employment For Persons With Disabilities
Creating sustainable opportunities for employment and empowerment of the PWD .Our People are chosen for their skill and not out of sympathy
Yes, I fulfill all of the eligibility criteria.
Initiative's representative name
Usha Mishra -Managing Trustee of NABET INDIA
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative’s representative gender
Which eligible market are you based in?
Where are you making a difference?
India Haryana Gurugram
Website or social media url(s)
When was your organisation founded?
Helping people adapt to technologies of the future
Financial skills and capability
Reskilling and upskilling the workforce
Scaling (expanding impact to many new places or in many new ways)
Yearly Budget: How much capital do you need to accomplish your proposed project?
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this to succeed
Nabet India symbolizes my love for my mother who I lost due to disability .It was her struggle with disability and how she chose happiness in spite her visual impairment that inspired me to chose this as my life calling.Many differently abled are excessively dependent on donations and charities for their survival .Their dependence leads them to be become victims of various forms of physical and mental exploitation. I wanted to do something so that the differently abled are considered as a equal and contributing member of the society rather than be seen as a liability. I chose to identify those jobs that the differently abled could do proficiently inspite of their disability. Their economic independence would help restore their confidence.
2. The problem: What problem surrounding employability or financial capability are you helping to solve?
India is a country of over 70 Million disabled people. More than 15% of the worlds population lives with some kind of disability. Persons with disabilities are more likely to experience adverse socioeconomic outcomes than persons without disabilities, such as less education, poorer health outcomes, lower levels of employment, and higher poverty rates.Disability may increase the risk of poverty, through lack of employment and education opportunity
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
1. Identify job roles which can be proficiently performed by disabled , use technological interventions wherever necessary to ensure that the disability of the person would not lead to their exclusion and would also aid in them performing their jobs as proficiently as a non disabled counterpart. Case eg. Contact center operations performed by visually impaired people .Use of special Jaws software to ensure their is seamless user to computer interface.Technology plays the biggest leveler and innovator to ensure productivity levels is maintained
2. Innovate new job roles which can be performed by the disabled so that their is continuous updation in their skill set. Eg Teach SEO (Search Engine Optimization to Visually Impaired Coral Draw to Orthopedically Challenged so that they are included in the workforce)
3. Massive awareness campaigns to ensure participation of companies and reinstate the self belief in the disabled that they can lead a independent life as an asset
4. Ensure industry participation in curriculum development to ensure maximum employment opportunity on completion. Also offer outsourcing as as option for companies to hire people and reduce their initial cost
4. How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solving the problem?
Only about 15% of the disabled population of our country is employed most are excessively dependent on only government jobs as an opportunity for employment . The problem with employment is 2 fold
1. Companies express the intent but do not hire as there are infrastructural challenges .Also questions are raised on the hit in productivity
Our solution :Offer a solution of work being outsourced to our organization.Also solve the issue of housing and affiliates for the differently abled employees. Superior performance is ensured and troubleshooting is simpler as the fellow employees are also disabled
2. Disabled lack
5. Employability: how is your organization or project teaching people to develop the skills that they need to survive in the future job market?
Nabet identifies the employment opportunities in the industry where the differently abled can be gainfully employed. We try to identify technical interventions which can ease the introduction of the differently abled into the mainstream workforce. Our interventions
1. Ensure that the productivity achieved by the employed resources are matched with their non disabled counterparts.
2. Advocate for reasonable accommodation on part of the industry to ensure that the necessary infrastructure is in place for the easy integration
3. Create the necessary skill set among the disabled so that their employers see value in making them a part of their organization.Our resources are hired for the value they bring to the organization and not out of sympathy .We also ensure the an active participation of the industry stakeholders in the curriculum development and delivery to ensure success
5a. Please describe which future-oriented skills your organization is focused on fostering and how you have measured / plan to measure progress
Our interventions are industry specific and helps match jobs to those category of differently abled who are best equipped to perform the job. The essence of identification is that their should be no loss of productivity or quality standards to the employers.We also ensure that the identified program should have the potential to create mass employment to the mobilized resources
eg In the IT /ITes sector we skill train people to be be data entry operators, call centre operators , SEO executives , Social Media Marketing etc .These skill have a high demand and can also be performed remotely
7. Marketplace: Who else is addressing the same problem? How does the proposed project differ from these approaches?
1. Their is no single organization which are working on managing the role of skill training and employment at a single place. Since their is a symbiotic existence bw our skill training and employment program and our sustainability is dependent on the performance of the outsourced jobs we perform we take utmost care at the training phase
2. To ensure superior training we affiliate with Govt of Indias skill training program .Many NGO fail to meet the high standards set by NSDC and thus stay away from it. We are a 5* training centre.
3.We offer a single stop tangible solution for companies
8. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
1. Nabet india in its last 10 years has created employment for over 1800 people and impacted the lives of over 7500 people in our journey. Over 7 leading MNC of Indian origin across different sectors as varied as telecom to retail and hospitality are engaged with Nabet presently and hire skill trained and talented differently abled resources from us. Nabet has changed the way in which the differently abled are now seen as value creators and contributors to the indian Economy
Rishab Anand is a visually impaired lady .In the young age of 21 she was thrust the responsibility to look after her family as she lost her mother and father in a fatal car accident. She cursed her fate that why was she spared in the accident and preferred death to her present challenge. She had to look after her younger brother also fulfill her aspiration.Flash Forward she is financially independent today
9. Financial Sustainability Plan. Can you tell us about you plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
1.Revenue from the outsourced employment program which we have implemented at Nabet India.We charge a premium over our opex which helps in subsiding our skill training program
2. For those companies who wish to hire our resources we charge a consultancy fee for every hired resources. Alternatively they also have the option of funding the complete batch via their CSR /community initiative program
3. Nabet also partners with the Central and State Govt through its various welfare schemes towards employment and emplowerment of persons with disabilities in India
4. Nabet is intending to identify newer opportunities for self employment which have the potential for mass employment generation and can survive without charities /donations
1. Sandeep SInha : CO Founder Lumis Partners
2. Adm S Mishra: Ex Indian Naval Officer
3. lata Suresh :Director IICA (Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs)
4. Adm Berry Bhartan : Ex Indian Naval Officer
5. Usha Mishra (Managing Trustee)
6.Mr. Ramesh Gaur ( IGNCA)
7. Mr. Aslam Khan (CEO Octaware Solutions )
Arjun Mishra : Head Projects
Rahul Talreja : Head IT and Operations
Prabhakar Kumar : Operations Team
Abhishek Mishra -Head Special Projec
How did you hear about this challenge?