Smart Eco agriculture, IoT-based technology solutions for farmers in Taiwan.
Helping farmers use data and technology to better feed future generations.
This is the smart agriculture model that describes the data monitoring systems and IoT devices. With the field sensor through wireless transmission technology, farmers and customers can monitor the field condition through apps or computers.
Yes, I fulfill all of the eligibility criteria.
Initiative's representative name
1. King, Hsin I / Founder. 2.Tseng, Chun Yi / PM
Initiative's representative date of birth
1. 4/20 2. 4/16
Initiative’s representative gender
Which eligible market are you based in?
Where are you making a difference?
We cooperate with farmlands throughout Taiwan based on Taiwan's climate and crop distribution.
Website or social media url(s)
1) Official website:https://www.buydirectlyfromfarmers.tw/
2) Facebook: https://zh-tw.facebook.com/BuyDirectlyFromFarmers
When was your organisation founded?
Helping people adapt to technologies of the future
Reskilling and upskilling the workforce
Creating digital tools
Growth (have moved past the very first activities; working towards the next level of expansion)
Yearly Budget: How much capital do you need to accomplish your proposed project?
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this to succeed
“Buy Directly From Farmers” (hereafter BDFF) is a group dedicated to empowering small farmers in Taiwan. With the vision of providing a solution for a sound environment and creating a harmonious relationship between the city and countryside, BDFF aims to let people understand how their lifestyle and eating habits impact the environment and the way food is grown. BDFF started the community in 2010 purely run by 12 volunteers and officially registered as a company-based social enterprise in 2014. Currently, BDFF works with more than 120 farmers and has a wide community of 139,000 customers, more than 264,000 square meters of farmland restored to purity, collectively creating a positive change to the world.
2. The problem: What problem surrounding employability or financial capability are you helping to solve?
Global warming and extreme climate changes have been fierce. Even though farmers want to continue ecological farming practices, they are no longer able to manage their farmland based on seasonal patterns. If customers don’t understand it and give no support, farmers might give up. In the meantime, the aging agricultural population and the lack of funding in the industry have led to a shortage of manpower, creating huge difficulties for farmers.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
BDFF is going to implement smart agricultural technology including data monitoring systems and IoT devices. This project is not only to help farmers use data for smarter field management but also to present field images instantly through our e-commerce network platform. We have collaborated with a technical team to place IoT devices in experimental farmland. Field microclimate devices can collect temperature, humidity, wind speed, air quality, atmospheric pressure, and ultraviolet light. By collecting these data with the field sensor through wireless transmission technology, farmers can monitor the field conditions through apps or computers. And this technology can also enable automatic equipment for irrigation, temperature control, fertilization, and pest control, without the need for manpower, and farmers can do more instant and precise management. The long-term accumulation of scientific data can help farmers to manage and respond to crops early and enhance the quality and volumes. What's even better is that the field information is transparently displayed, it allows us to implement more interesting and persuasive adoption plans helping farmers obtain stable income for families.
4. How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solving the problem?
By improving data management of farmland, mastering the ability of agricultural IoT technology, smarter implementation of environmentally friendly farming, and through a "BE THE GODPARENTS OF YOUR FOOD" new sales plan. Let our 140,000 fans understand the state of the field through the data and real-time images, and then have a better understanding of food and the environment. Therefore, customers can subscribe in advance and accomplish an innovative and sustainable production-marketing model.
(Instructions for questions 5 and 6, no answer required) Please only answer the question (5 - “employability” or 6 - “financial capability”) that applies to your organization’s topic of work (see below for definitions)
5. Employability: how is your organization or project teaching people to develop the skills that they need to survive in the future job market?
We are going to assist and teach farmers to develop their skills in the following process:
1.Courses: Agricultural data analysis and IoT Agi technology courses, and practical case sharing.
2. We are going to implement IoT devices in experimental fields to help cooperative farmers practice.
3. By linking the "BE THE GODPARENTS OF YOUR FOOD" program to our solution, we can communicate to customers through real-time images and data translation by the devices in order to do better reality marketing and food & agriculture education.
4. We will ask crop experts to guide farmers and provide an initial suggestion based on remoting analyses.
5a. Please describe which future-oriented skills your organization is focused on fostering and how you have measured / plan to measure progress
"Smart digital agricultural management and new agricultural marketing skills" are the future-oriented skills that we focus on. we measure the plan with the following indicators:
1. How many farmers will participate in related learning courses?
2. How many farmers will participate in the smart agriculture introduction plan?
3. How much field area will this plan be affected?
4. How much consumer attention will this program receive?
7. Marketplace: Who else is addressing the same problem? How does the proposed project differ from these approaches?
Currently, there are a few groups in Taiwan that provide crop adoption programs. However, there is no company or group adopting adoption programs that use smart agriculture and Internet of Things technologies to make a public appeal. In addition, the “BE THE GODPARENTS OF YOUR FOOD” program is also a new type of adoption plan implemented by BDFF.
8. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
From 2014-2020, we operate as a social enterprise, and through the new agricultural participation programs such as e-commerce, community food & agriculture education, “FARMERS BE YOUR GUIDE”, “BE THE GODPARENTS OF YOUR FOOD”, we have achieved the following influence:
1.71% of producers’ income has increased by more than 20%.
2.92% of farmers and family members are confident to continue farming friendly.
3.50% of cooperative farmers are assisted by agricultural / processing knowledge.
4.99% of official website members have a better opinion of the food, understanding of farmland and the countryside.
5.75% of official website members listed "production model with the ecological environment" as the first consideration when buying food.
6.37% of members care about who the producer is and what they think about the environment.
7.264,000 square meters of farmland restored to purity.
9. Financial Sustainability Plan. Can you tell us about you plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
1. Short-term: We need funding for equipment and courses for this project.
2. Medium-term: We are going to combine the "BE THE GODPARENTS OF YOUR FOOD" new-type agricultural sales plan letting us stably and continuously implement the smart agricultural technology, and help consumers participate in this plan together.
3. Long-term: We plan to conduct CSR project cooperation with large enterprises to expand their influence and breadth so that we can have more sufficient funds for sustainable operations.
1)Founder: KING HSIN I. With 10 years of work experience in advertising groups, led the team to be selected as the 2015 DBS Foundation grant. 2)PM: TSENG CHUN YI. With 8 years of work experience in international trade and project management. 3)Digital innovative: LIU YAO SIAN. With more than 10 years of work experience in system development and digital marketing. 4)Product development: LIU WEI LIN. Majored in Agronomy. Worked in SGS inspections for two years. 5)Cooperation Partner: AgriWeather.
Help Us Support Diversity! Are you a member of an under-served , under-represented, or marginalized group in your country of residence? (yes/no) (this question is optional – if you choose to fill it out, the response will not be shared with your fellow contestants)
This does not apply to me
If you selected “yes” to any of the categories above, please explain how being a member of this group has impacted you and your work?
How did you hear about this challenge?