Teaching coding as a way to integrate in Greek Society !
13. Financial Sustainability – funding breakdown: please list a quick breakdown of your funding, indicating an estimated percentage that comes from each source.
For 2019, the sources of income & the percentage of each source, are:
foundation or NGO grants: 53 %
corporate contributions : 31 %
grants or contracts (European Union): 13%
Other : 3 %
15. Growth Strategy: What are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
In 2018, SHA received funds from the EU to help set up a coding school in Barcelona partnering with a local NGO. SHA continues to get involved in EU programs, sharing its knowledge with NGOs willing to start coding schools for vulnerable groups.
Social Hackers Academy also wanted to reach refugees in camps, to start their integration process early on. SHA is currently building an e-learning platform where refugees will be able to access learning material and support from professional developers. It will be made accessible to NGO managing camps or delivering programs near refugee camps.
16. Activating changemakers: How are you giving people the power to control their own destiny and support other people to become changemakers in their communities?
SHA’s priority is fostering self-reliance. We aim to help students enter the job market to be socially and financially independent.
We have found that 40% of applicants knew about the program from a graduate. Hence, graduates who find a job are our best advocates. They give back to the community by mentoring or teaching. The main example of this is the position of Head of Education in SHA’s team which has always been given to a graduate. Ahmed, Zohir and now AbdalRahaman, because of their migration background, know student’s needs and are able to deliver the best program to fit them.
17. Awards & Recognitions: What awards or recognitions, if any, has the project received so far?
Social Hackers Academy has been selected by Hello Greece,an accelerator program dedicated to migration solution part of Hello Europe an initiative by Ashoka.
Social Hackers Academy is also part of HIGGS accelerator, a Greek ecosystem focused on empowering initiatives tackling social challenges.
18. Tell us about how collaborations and partnerships would enhance the scalability and impact of your project
SHA partners with
- Local NGOs both to encourage their beneficiaries to take part in the program but also to share expertise. For instance, a digital literacy program for women was created with an NGO specialized in women’s rights.
- Tech companies to create opportunities for graduates and co-create events.
- European NGOs to create a network of coding schools and through capacity building activities, to enable them to start their own coding school.