Animoscope - The pet well-being expert
Promote a responsible and accessible approach of pet care and well-being through digital innovation
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
Website or social media url(s)
Revolutionizing veterinary care for pets
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
One day, Guillaume, veterinarian in large clinic France, got a consultation with a dog carrying an uncommon disease. He knew of the specific treatment that could cure the dog and proposed it to the owners. However, because they already went to an emergency clinic and spend 1000 Eur for this non urgent disease, they could not afford the curative treatment. The distress from the owners showed how important that pet – pet owner bond is, and how improving the approach of veterinary medicine can not only help pets, but the entire family. This is when Guillaume decided to develop a medical algorithm that could save dogs and cats by empowering owners with comprehensive yet easy-to-access information about the best possible medical approaches.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
All owners, at some point, are facing the same problems when they observe a worrying sign of health from their pet:
- Is it urgent to consult?
- How much is it going to cost and how will I finance it?
Veterinary care’s high cost and limited accessibility means than more than 47% of pets encountering health problems are not treated. The whole family is usually suffering from this.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
Animoscope’s vision is to empower pet owners with a full range of digital tools allowing them to make the best decisions preserving the health and well-being of their pets. Using VetoCheck (proprietary tool for pre-diagnosis) pet owners can understand the possible causes based on symptoms, get advices on the most appropriate way to deal with it and be connected to dedicated services, either offered in-house or through partnerships (health insurance, online booking vet appointments, emergency services, home vet appointments, phone or video vet appointments).
Animoscope’s objective is to improve veterinary care by promoting pet owner’s knowledge and access to innovative health services. This will improve the serenity of the pet-human bond.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
Animoscope developed VetoCheck, a proprietary tool for pre-diagnosis. VetoCheck is a disruptive algorithm allowing pet owners to fill in the symptoms observed, answering an AI-powered questionnaire and get results on emergency grading, main medical hypothesis as well as recommended course of action.
VetoCheck is unique in veterinary health. It empowers pet owners to understand what may be happening and react in the most appropriate way.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
At Animoscope we believe taking informed decision is the best way to improve the pet-human relation. It will relieve the owners from extra stress, but it will also help the owners to take the best decision, improve their pet’s health, and therefore the well-being of the whole household.
Our platform allows present and future pet owners to understand the obligations and consequences of owning a pet, creating access to a full range of solutions optimizing the life of the pet and associated costs.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
Animoscope has been launched just a few weeks ago for the general public and the business outputs are measured in 2 ways : inbound traffic and outbound conversion. Animoscope attracts an average of 50.000 visitors a month at launch and we plan to grow this number to several 100.000 thousand within months. Our monetization strategy covers 6 different revenue sources, all of which have been secured already by affiliation contracts. This diversification ensures our revenues can grow exponentially.
Animoscope is also currently prospecting a professional audience for white label license agreements to use Vetocheck. We have several confirmed interest form major stakeholders in France (Health insurance, networks of veterinary clinics).
The social impact of Animoscope is geared toward better care for pets and will be measured by the increased insurance coverage in France, and beyond.
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
Animoscope’s short term internal growth strategy is to gradually integrate outsourced services to benefit from long term revenue streams and increase value. We already initiated regulatory accreditation to become health insurance broker, paving the way to create our own Animoscope Health insurance products.
Geographical expansion towards Western Europe (especially targeting German speaking countries) is another short-term internal growth strategy. We target Asia as a next step, given the privileged links and knowledge Animoscope’s Founders have in that region.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Animoscope’s ambition to improve pet healthcare through better accessibility will benefit several stakeholders:
- Pets will received better and more inclusive treatments
- Pet owners will increase their knowledge and react in most appropriate and economically optimized ways
- Veterinarians will enlarge their client audience, delegate the basic cases and focus on most complex cases
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
Animoscope is a common project of a seasoned entrepreneur and an experienced veterinarian, supported by an Advisory Board of industry high-level profiles. We bootstrapped the company with 110.000 Euros in own funding and already secured 260.000 Euros of public funding in France, additional 110.000 Euros package being currently under discussion. This ensure enough cashflow for initial technology investments and operations funding for the coming 12 months at least. We plan to breakeven as soon as end of 2020.
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
The founder’s team is composed of 2 senior individuals with perfectly synergetic profiles:
Guillaume Ragetly is a Veterinarian specialized in surgery. He is the co-Manager of Fregis veterinary clinic in Paris and historical founder and editor of 2 websites dedicated to cats and dog’s health.
Julien Tripet is a Serial Entrepreneur (MBA ISC Paris), and a Manager with 15 years’ experience creating and developing innovative companies. He is also angel investor and advisor to 6 start-ups.
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
Purina & Animoscope share the same goal of helping pets live better, longer lives. We innovate in healthcare digital services and partnering with the leader in pet nutrition will create synergies between our respective audiences. We believe we can educate pet owners in better understanding their pet’s health problems by offering innovative and easy-to-use solutions designed by veterinarians and tech specialists. Accessing Purina’s international network and knowledge will help us adapt and accelerate our development eventually ensuring better health for pets.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?