1st social network for free cares between individuals for all pets in France, Switzerland and Belgium
Logo of Bibou with baseline in english
The film that explained how the social network Bibou works.
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
France / Belgique / Suisse
Website or social media url(s)
facebook : Bibouetcie
Instagram : bibouetcompagnie
Twitter : @bibou_et
Linkedin : franck pignon
Re-imagining the role of pets in society
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
Once upon a time a boy and a girl moved to the seaside with their two cats.
In October 2017, they decide to adopt a nice puppy : Joseph
As they both work, Joseph is alone all day and ... sleeps while waiting for them. A nice retired neighbor proposes to take care of Joseph in their absence. The girl and the boy accept and a beautiful complicity is established between Joseph and the neighbor.
Then humans have a friendly relationship ...
And this is how the idea of a website was born in the girl's mind: Could I create something to help all animals to find a home while my owners are away?
A name is found quickly for this animal-centered social network : Bibou
Yes ! Bibou has always been the nickname of Joseph !
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
- Who could take care of your pet while you are away?
This question is far from trivial when we know that there are 63 million pets in France. This
question concerns 1 in 2 households.
It is even more important since one of the main obstacles to acquiring a pet is the constraint of
- How to reduce the number of abandoned animals?
Yes, 100,000 animals are abandoned each year in France... Therefore, almost 12 animals each hour.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
To answer our questions, we launched mon-bibou.fr on June 1st, 2019: 1st social network dedicated to free pet care between neighbors. For all pets, whether feathered, with hairs or scales, including horses and Exotic pets.
Goal: To connect the owners with welcoming volunteers. Bibou is a caring solution that is benevolent, respectful of animals, part of a surge of generosity and solidarity while promoting social interactions.
Why a free network? 2 reasons: To ensure the kindness of the nannies and to quickly develop a dense and spread network. Goal: more animal welfare and responsible adoptions, and fewer subscriptions and social isolation.
For the owner: Guarantees on the motivations of the nanny. Proximity with the welcoming home.
Social bonding between neighbors.
For the nanny: Choice of date and type of care. Possibility to practice before adopting her/his animal (= responsible adoptions). Physical exercise with an animal (retired, convalescent). Psychological benefits: breaking loneliness, providing emotional support and creating social bonds.
For the animal: Kindness of the nanny. Known welcoming environment (neighborhood). Socializing with other animals.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
The innovations of mon-bibou.fr, compared to other websites, are not technological but human. - Bibou is a united platform.
The choice of total gratuity (registrations and guards) is our philosophy: Allowing access to easy, fast and benevolent care of your animal (= fewer subscriptions and more adoptions), making the support network quickly very dense and spread (= efficient service) and create social bonds between people who have a common love of animals.
Bibou is also a participative platform: users make free donations when the service has been useful to them. Each donation is important and is used in everyone's interest by Bibou.
It’s a new way to think about our interactions with animals.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Bibou is a service:
For animals: A large network of mutual help between neighbors for the care of all pets will have an impact on the number of abandonments and cases of neglect. Not to mention something which is not quantifiable: animal welfare. Indeed, each owner can register their animal for a guard at the nanny's home, for visits to their own home (cats) but also for day walks (increase in the number of dogs not left alone).
For humans: People who love animals but cannot have one will be able to keep them from times to times (seniors, students, people with disabilities, etc.). Pet therapy: Pet care via our network can also help people with physical or mental difficulties. Social inclusion: Serving and having a feeling of social usefulness is very important for people excluded by illness, age or unemployment.
Registering as a nanny before an adoption to see if an animal's needs are in line with someone’s lifestyle = responsible adoption. Educating children about well-living with animals, evaluating their motivation when they ask for an animal. Owners who like to have their pet "as at home" in their absence. Creation of a community’s feeling.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
Since the site's launch on June 1, 2019, 4,500 people have registered. The current volume of registrants does not yet allow the number of guards performed via our site to be correlated with the numbers of abandons and adoptions of animals. The impacts on animal and human well-being (social bonds) cannot be quantified. By studying user profiles, the people registered on the site are representative of the projections made when the site was created in terms of age, socio- professional categories, household composition, etc. The upcoming implementation of an improved website will collect precise metrics. Commercial results: Our business model is based on donations (already effective) and partnerships with brands (discussions in progress but a larger number of users will be a powerful persuasion factor for a partner).
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
The market for Bibou is huge (at least 1 person / 2). The main strategy is to make ourselves known quickly to as many people as possible.
The referencing of the website. Becoming one of the main result in all internet research related to animal care.
Communication. With several paths: flyers, very effective for us (users help us place them around their homes, animal shelters are very demanding, as well as vet clinics).
Communication via social networks. Finally, we have a well-known agent specialized in animal media (powerful communication and the general public)
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Bibou creates value for:
Animals. We will help limit abandonment, increase the number of adoptions and the overall welfare of pets.
The owners and the nannies: we render service to the owners, we brighten the daily life of the nannies and we contribute to the creation of social bonds between these animal lovers (= animal- centered social network)
Society: The moral value created by Bibou is unquantifiable to me (the feeling of doing something useful). The economic model chosen will create a "virtuous" circle: the more we will communicate about our benevolence and our concept -> the more there will be users -> the more there will be donations and the more there will be major brand partners with us.
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
The financing of the project will take place in 3 stages:
- In the short term = Launch phase: Funding from our associates’ fonds.
- In the short and medium-term = significant phase of increase in the volume of users: Funding through donations and advertising partnerships + equity and / or fundraising, subvention, contests...
- In the long term = Development phase of a multi-website platform dedicated to pets: Depending on whether the website is necessary or not for animal welfare, the economic model will be either participative and with advertising partnerships like Bibou or other websites (subscription, paid service, commissions, sales...)
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
The current Bibou’s team consists of:
- Franck, webmaster
- David, salaried senior executive (CAC 40). Investor / Community Manager (CM) / Promoter of Bibou to its network.
- Marine. CM / Creator of communication content / Responsible for the distribution of flyers.
- Finally myself, Fanny, a salaried senior executive, on long-term sick leave (a genetic disease with a disability). Investor / website creation / Management / Statistics / Communication manager / Relation with partners.
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
The future needs of the company are clearly defined and winning the Purina Prize will allow us to
Technically develop the website so that it can accommodate a very large volume of users and,
therefore gradually turning it into a multi-website platform centered on pets
Enrich our network thanks to the visibility of the award. The goal is to make us known to
professionals in the animal world and to collaborate with new partners.
Increasing the number of people on the team in order to gain skills in certain areas, to meet the needs generated by the creation of a new website on the platform and to free up time to devote to representing the company ( media, partners...)
12. How did you hear about this challenge?