BoltWay is a personalized AI-powered app which provides daily new pathway for dog owners, that leads to unexpected events.
Bring the dog to an optimized path which includes dog trash can, dog friendly activities (parks), tracking stats and also special encounters
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Boris TAM & Oussama RAZOUKI
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
151 Boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75013, PARIS
Where are you making a difference?
Our headquarters is located in Paris, we aim to implant our application in every big city in the world to help public services focus on those area by giving them the relevant data info.
Bringing the power of the pet-human bond to the community level
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
hybrid: a combination of different types of organisations, such as a social enterprise (an organisation that applies commercial strategies to maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being)
civil society: a community of citizens linked by common interests
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
Being a former dog owner, walking "Bolt" out became rapidly a routine. I was always looking for a surprising encounter and also a new path to make my dog more blooming. Sometimes after walking him out, I realised that he was unexhausted and full of stamina. So we wanted to find a compatible and fun pathway. However it was difficult to find dog trash bin can in these new pathways. Indeed after spending a lot of time searching, we noticed that there are specific and beautiful areas made especially for dogs to socialize and defecate. That's why we want to share the enjoyment crossing those places through this project.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The problem we are trying to solve is to make the dog walks less annoying (dog friendly place, locate the dog trash bin can, etc.) by suggesting an optimized pathway depending on the time needed for the dog race and the user's schedule.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
Each dog is different, so the user will mention his pet physical characteristics, race, and his food. And by using our data base evaluating the physical abilities of the user's dog, we will plan the perfect roadway to ensure happiness, and health to the pet. Everybody can share his trail and marks other's, by collecting all the data our AI will be able to insure continual improvement in the trail to propose you a better one day after day depending on the user's choice (time, weather, dog characteristic, presence of other dog owners, etc.)
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
The approach is unique because the more people save their trail, dog characteristics and satisfaction, the better our daily trail proposition will be. An other key point is that by having a better knowledge, a more completed data base about all the dogs in the neighborhood, we will be able to connected dogs and owner that match. Thanks to the data base, we will be able to inform the city about what services are lacking such as cleaners, veterinaries, dog lounges, etc.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Thanks to the project, we will be able to provide each and every dogs needs. The long term goal will be to create a community in each city, to display all the secret sweet spot. Also we will share daily advice about their respective dogs thanks to the information taken by the app and also the knowledge of our dog experts.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
In term of business outputs, we will create a synergy between the user and the dog services by giving them visibility through partnerships (like influencer).
We will measure the progress by the number of active users we have and also by the increase of the data base size. We will propose to the user to share his dog trial just after as a crowdsourcing. Second Impact consist on building a community of dog owners that will raise awareness about the lake of services in the city. Third Impact, usually only the owner knows his dog. The idea is that the information will be fully transparent so everybody could give tips to eveybody. Conclusion it will greatly raise the health and hapiness of dogs in a global scale within the same city, and create a lot of friendship between different dogs and dogs owner.
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
To begin with, the app will be free without any source of revenue in order to raise our data-base to make the users feel confident. Then we will focus on making partnership with dog services, and the city town hall, these partnership will generate continuous income and build awareness for us and them. Our growth is similar to an exponential growth, the more users there are, the better the platform is. The service is similar to TripAdvisor. For example, a pet owner by promoting his activity will give us a share. We'll also do a premium app that target 1% of customer with special needs.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Our Creating shared Value will come from the creation of a suitable environment for the dogs (in France, one out of two household has a pet). So this project potential is capable to reach in France 20 to 30 millions of people. And furthermore, there will be a creation of instagram pet spots which are known to create economic and advertisement values for marketing digital influencers.
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
Our value proposition is based on the user experience in order to generate traffic and to attract a large number of active users . It becomes compulsory if we want to generate more data and enhance the customer experience.
As for funding the project, all the revenue generated with ads, partnership with the local dog services (we generate traffic for them by making people walk near their stores, or putting their website, etc.) , and investment will go to the continuous development of the platform and its services.
As for getting the investment, we will look for angel investor by winning pitch competitions, but also from crowfunding and public institutions (by making the city cleaner).
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
The dream team will be composed of :
- a veterinary for ensure the quality and the reliability of the data in the inner stage.
- a business and law member who is used at making contracts, have a deep knowledge about regulation, and will forecast the turnover.
- A community manager and marketing member which will ensure having a product market fit and promote our platform through influencer
- An engineer and developer who will focus on all the technical aspect.
+Growth Hacker & Data analyst
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
If we are selected for the Purina Betterwith Pets Prize, we will be able bring the power of the pet-human bond to the community level to promote inclusivity by connecting and convening people and pets helping them overcome disconnection and isolation.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?
Article in the news
13. Example: Please walk us through one or two concrete examples of how your solution will solve the problem you’re trying to address.
We have three kind of user, the pet owner, the shop pet owner and the dog. As for the pet owner, he has to walk his dog out everyday, so by checking this app, we will try to change his routine, he may have received some messages from other dog owners, some suggestions, some tips, some new shops or that a new veterinary just came near his district, but above everything he will see a bunch of pathways that people enjoy to take and he can choose himself or letting the IA choose an optimized one. As for the shop pet owner that has just opened his shop and wished to make people aware of his business or one’s who want to attract more clients, this app will greatly help them to advertise, to increase their exposure. Not only will his shop be shown on the trail, but also our IA will choose a trail that passes by his activities. The dog will be more happy as they tend to discover new places.
14. Mutual Benefit: Explain how your project mutually benefits the pets involved – how is the pet not only used as tool?
The pets involved benefit from having an owner more aware about the pet environment and more focused on taking care of them. The mutual benefit comes from a less bored owner that will be more focused on the pet's enjoyment. The pet could not be seen as a tool in our case because the main purpose is to create a community around him that highlights the environment set for him and creates links between all the owners to raise the general care for them.
15. Marketplace: Who else is addressing this problem in your environment? How does your proposed project differ from these other approaches?
-Local groups in facebook which have a moderator that will create some events around pet communities.
- Woopet is a platform dedicated to dog owners with advices from experts, general information about pets, etc.
-YummyPets is a social petwork dedicated to pet lovers sharing photos, videos discussing on forums about breeds and many things concerning pets. The community has a website and also an app.
Boltway approach to create a community is unique because of the way our short term plan leads to our long term plan. It starts with a platform that connects people by walking the dog out and ends with a complete platform full of ressources about dogs, information about the environment for dogs around us in a district and closely linked to all kinds of pet activities. The ultimate goal is to give the importance we owe to pets in society, and enhancing the area in terms of economical and social aspects around pets by connecting all the actors around them.
16. Tell us about how collaborations and partnerships would enhance the scalability and impact of your project.
Our business model works precisely with those partnerships : the more partnerships we make, the more our platform is valuable. We seek partnerships of quality with the acknowledgement of renowned dog experts, of veterinary with city hall, with eco-friendly companies (bags, etc...) that contribute to the dog’s health and happiness. And above all, we will link people with the same type of dog. By improving the quality of the platform, the number of users and the data we will get from each dog will rise and also the number of pathways, so the user experience will be better. By having more partnerships, we will increase in quality. More members means more data, more quality, more trust, bigger community: this is how we scale.
18. Your Self-Elevator Pitch (OPTIONAL): Share a 1-minute video that shares a quick summary of the problem you would like to solve, how you’ve chosen to solve it, and the impact you hope to see.
19. Financial Sustainability (OPTIONAL): Please tell us more about how you plan to fund and scale your project, include an attached document with your detailed business plan or other equivalent information. (This information will NOT be shared with your fellow contestant, it will only be visible to you and internal Prize reviewers).
To start with, our initiative does not really need a lot of funds, we do not really need a big amount of money each month to run. By just being an app that seeks exposure, having the Purina price, will make us able to partially fund our marketing campaign. And thanks to some experience in crowdfunding (2 Years ago, we’ve raised 10.000 E to install solar panels in a Nepal village named Tokarpur @Gadz'Humanitaire) we will ask all the dog lovers for some funds. We’re quite sure that using the notoriety of the Purina brand name, we may be able to bring awareness towards our product.
As for the income, once our community will be big enough, not only will it generate income itself by advertisement and partnerships for example but also in the long term, thinking of a premium version with monthly subscription is already in our plan, adding more functionalities, such as a marketplace with some chosen products or recommended products from dog owners and why not create and sell our brand,etc...