Crowdfunding platform aiming to help stray animals to recuperate and find a new home
All animals, even stray ones, need to be protected and helped
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
Russia, all the World
Website or social media url(s)
We provide assistance to all animals without exception.Including animals with disease&disabilities
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
nonprofit/NGO: an organisation that uses its resources to achieve a purpose outside of creating profit
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
Every day we see abandoned, hungry and suffering animals. They are everywhere and no one cares about them. But they need human help to survive just as much as our own children. My name is Olga Zhuravleva, I am Có-founder of the platform. I am a volunteer and a graphic designer in the IT industry.I saved over 100 animals and now I realise how difficult it is. Me and other volunteers didn't have any reliable solution to ask people for help and make it simple for both of the sides. At some point I understood, that technologies can help.
And then I realized that I know how to make it transparent and reliable for everybody and how to improve the horrible situation all over the world.
This is how this innovative project has started.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
Problem of stray animals is a growing concern not only in Russia, but all over the world. Animals get ill, their numbers grow exponentially and they can’t ask for help. These are just a few problems out of many. This is unbearable. We must do all that we can to improve their lives. We must cure the ill, sterilize and find homes for the stray and make sure that all animals are vaccinated.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
Dobro Vmeste is a crowdfunding platform which was launched in November 2019 (just 2 months ago).
The main idea is to connect verified volunteers with donators in order to help stray animals together.
On our crowdfunding platform we actively develop volunteering and raise money for medical treatment of animals. We want people to understand how important it is to help animals and how together we can impact the horrible situation that stray animals are currently in.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
The main innovative advantages of the platform are:
- transparency (all financial transactions and reports are clear and are being updated in real time, the special statistics page is in real time as well);
- reliance (all volunteers are verified by an integrated professional KYC service, all animal profiles on the platform pass the special moderation);
- easy to use for donators (all donations can be made in just 2 clicks by using Apple Pay or Google Pay, all animal profiles can be followed by anybody);
- easy to use for volunteers (simple animal profile management, fast and convenient way to make posts in animal's feed).
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
We pay a lot of attention to social advertising aimed to show how much the animals struggle. We would like more people to help them.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
We attract new volunteers and try to cure and find homes for as many animals as possible. This does not necessarily have to be dogs or cats, we also help rabbits, horses, hamsters, birds, meerkats, etc. We also plan to organize a summer festival in support of animals and the environment. There will be an interesting program, many informative master classes, and an exhibition of animals looking for a home. We aim to involve people from all population segments into the topic of helping animals.
In 2 months, we attracted 40 new volunteers, saved 70 animals, and found homes for 48 animals. 52 cats and 7 dogs were sterilized within our sterilization programs
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
We aim to show how innovative solutions can help solving such a huge problem as stray animals.
The main idea of our crowdfunding platform is to connect verified volunteers with contributors in the most convenient way and all over the world.
We attract new audience by showing the most reliable and transparent way to make donations and check the conditions and future life of any animal on the platform. Also it is very important to show how easy it is to start volunteering using our platform. Therefore we are launching a volunteer school to attract new audiences and to expand rescue activities.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Value of our project for the society is a more humane attitude towards animals. Many people think that an animal is a thing. But actually it is a living being. We must make sure that the new generation values any life
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
We have several small sponsors who sustain our everyday work.
Meanwhile we are looking for different corporate sponsorships which could help us to continue developing the project in Russia and CIS and to scale the project into developing countries.
Anyway we are not going to charge any fees from the stray animal donations.
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
Currently we have a small but very friendly team. It consists of Olga, volunteer and director, Alexandra our SMM Manager, who owns horses saved from slaughterhouses, cats, dogs, goats and even a real forest boar. Helena, our Programs Manager and a volunteer who also saved many animals and Irina, our PR Manager, who loves dogs more than anyone else. All of us work full time, without days off or vacations. We also have a project ambassador – Russian actress Natalia Bardo
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
If we win the prize we will have a chance to develop faster in the following areas:
- attract new volunteers and donators to the platform;
- attract much more attention to the problem of stray animals not only in Russia and CIS, but globally;
- prepare new activities to expand the project to developing countries.
Our goals for this year are:
- 1 000 volunteers on the platform;
- minimum of 10 000 donators all over the world with a 15 Euro average donation;
- 3 000 rescued and up to 3 000 adopted animals;
- up to 10 000 animals from the streets caught and sterilized.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?