"Our life is better with animals!"
Creation of a mini-farm at home for vulnerable groups of the population (women and youth from low-income and large families, people with dis
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
The Republic of Kyrgyzstan (the city of Osh, Osh, Jalal-Abad and Baken regions)
August / 2020 - November / 2021
Fostering emotional intelligence and behavioural competences
Enhance physical activity and wellness
Re-imagining the role of pets in society
Revolutionizing veterinary care for pets
We currently do not have our own budget to implement this ideas, we need grant assistance.
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
hybrid: a combination of different types of organisations, such as a social enterprise (an organisation that applies commercial strategies to maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being)
civil society: a community of citizens linked by common interests
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
The idea of creating a mini-farm at home arose in our family, when once on the part of the kids the initiative was taken to keep pets, and the use of pets in raising children for hard work gives a positive effect. The dissemination of such an idea among the rural population will additionally allow us to demonstrate our achievements to our comrades and beneficiaries for the dissemination of experience and work, which will bring joy, inspiration and interest among the younger generation, the elderly and people with disabilities, including among them relatives, neighbors, acquaintances.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The relevance of the idea is that society, with everyday observation in everyday life (in markets, public transport, in the neighborhood, on the streets), it is always visible that many people, including young people are not worried about their future. Not aware of the role and importance of communicating with pets and others. Many people, and young people at the moment, do not move much, eat artificial products, are aggressive, tough...
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
The project covers several areas:
- organizational measures at the beginning and end of the project, analysis of statistical data, evaluation of the results of observations, holding campaigns, a forum, trainings and seminars, exhibitions and competitions, meetings;/ - medical monitoring of the elderly and people with disabilities, constant monitoring, meetings, assessment of care and achievements in well-being;/ - assessment of the climatic conditions of each locality for breeding pets, assessment of the physical and economic capabilities of target populations, assistance in creating conditions for mini-farms at home and small cooperatives in organizations for the elderly, people with disabilities (outbuildings, cages , aviaries and other devices);/ - procurement of domestic animals and birds, veterinary assessment and examination of animals, vaccinations, distribution among beneficiaries;/ - attracting partners and the media, searching for other donors and sponsors who want to provide similar support in their regions and providing them with experience and ideas./
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
30 mini-farms will be created at home for families with the elderly and people with disabilities and 7 subsidiary farms (cooperatives) for the society of deaf and blind, orphanages, nursing homes in 6 pilot regions of Osh, Osh, Jalal-Abad and Batken oblasts for keeping pets. It is possible that during the implementation of the project, there will be an increase in the number of mini-farms created at home with the inclusion of additional families in need of similar support;/
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Keeping a pet is not only a pleasant hobby, but also a cost. In order to somehow compensate for the cost of food, vaccinations and other necessary services, you can try to make some money. The beneficiaries are amateurs, but in the great future we want them to do this business professionally and pass on the experience to their descendants. All this will be useful to them in life and will be a great experience for the education of their descendants./ All animals teach people to be patient, responsible, attentive to the needs and condition of another, and also to recognize personal boundaries./ A man unconditionally trusts furry friends, shares his secrets with them and believes that he is understood and accepted as he is./ Communicating with animals, children become more friendly and observant, learning the world around them. It is worth stroking your beloved animal, as the child becomes calmer./ Caring for him, a person gets used to work and caring attitude not only to our smaller brothers, but also to people./
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
Caring for pets, a person is distracted from many negatives and intrigues, he will gain the opportunity to communicate with them, love them, and also distracted from bad habits, harmful factors of loneliness and idleness. People in need of someone’s attention will surely gain a mutual relationship with their pets and will enjoy when the poultry lays an environmentally friendly egg, takes out chickens, goats give healthy milk and give birth to kids and much more. With their subsequent breeding, people themselves will eat environmentally friendly and healthy, safe food. In the future, they themselves will trade with the existing excess population of animals and birds that they breed, as well as eggs, milk, meat.
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
Organization and holding of actions, a forum and seminars and actions with the participation of partners and beneficiaries to explain the goals and objectives of the project, as well as demonstrate achievements on the topic “Love animals and nature, it will be better to live” (education, treatment, improvement, etc.):/ - FORUM: Attracting representatives of schools, doctors and local authorities, veterinarians. Discussion of the actual problem. Roles of domestic animals in therapy and human development.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
We conducted a preliminary analysis of our conditions and capabilities, available forces and means. They decided to expand and create mini-farms in households. After the analysis, we came to a common opinion on providing opportunities for beneficiaries in breeding poultry and animals, as well as on the possibilities of combining farming for growing useful plants./ Thus, we hope to create certain conditions for solving acute social problems that contribute to the development and change of the situation in society./
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
This is our first major project and we decided to create a public fund (PF) for the further development of project ideas for working with local communities. In addition, the beneficiaries undertake to independently breed domestic animals, make decisions on the development of mini-businesses and keep a variety of animals./ Beneficiaries should be actively interested in the project, be able to maintain and learn (learn) how to properly feed, care and breed animals and birds in their own home. To play sports, to have physical and economic capabilities to maintain the sustainability of the continuation of the project, that is, for at least three years, the beneficiaries must be able to provide the necessary food for the purchased animals...
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
Our organization has qualified medical specialists: ultrasound practitioners, urologist, cardiologist, neuropathologist, chiropractor, hygienist, accountant, capable of providing qualified health care to beneficiaries and organizing and conducting relevant organizational and practical events. Also, for the effective implementation of the program, the organization intends to hire experienced volunteers - experts in the collection and conduct of sociological research: a veterinarian -an expert...
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
This is our first major project and we decided to create a public fund (PF) for the further development of project ideas for working with local communities.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?
Article in the news