PetPanion - empower & reward pet parents to live a healthier and happier life with your pets
Manage your pet's health and wellbeing anywhere anytime powered by AI and real vets, get rewarded and donate to the charity of your choice.
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
Starting with United Kingdom and expand to US and Chinese market
Website or social media url(s)
Enhance physical activity and wellness
Re-imagining the role of pets in society
Revolutionizing veterinary care for pets
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
I am a pet parent of a chocolate Labrador and 3 cats, two of them flew from Shanghai to London. I struggle with managing my pets' health and face an increasing annual pet bill. With a background in (human) health insurance, I want to create an app where I can create a digital profile for each of my pets and store everything including full medical records at one place. Based on my pets' info, I would love to understand what I can do as a pet parent to improve the quality of their lives and mitigate those known medical risks. When it comes to vet care, I wish to have a truly digital experience to consult an online vet, book a physical appointment, request repeated prescription and submit an insurance claim for the treatment via the app.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
1) Pet owners do not have a digital profile for pets so they are completing various forms with the same information about themselves and their pets, i.e. register with a new vet, using a kennel or cattery services, buying a pet insurance etc.
2) Over 80% of pet issues go unaddressed by veterinary expertise and 98% of pet owners visited Google prior to seeing their vets. The traditional veterinary care is inconvenient, unpleasant and expensive.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
1) PetPanion app enables pet owners to store everything about their pets in one place, including the full medical records so they can share with others easily and securely. The digital profile includes basic info (i.e breed, age), health & nutrition (i.e medical condition, allergy), activity & behaviour (i.e exercise level), and additional info (i.e microchip, insurance);
2) Based on the pet profile (incl. medical data), we use machine learning to offer personalised pet healthcare taking "known medical risks" into consideration as we believe "Prevention is the best medicine". Pet owners can book a consultation with an online vet who will have access to their pet's full medical records for the best diagnosis. They can also request an appointment with any UK vet clinics via PetPanion app and submit a new claim to their insurance company. The appointment type includes "New patient registration, annual health checkup, new illness or injury, repeated prescription, post surgery check" . Our web platform (SaaS) will also empower vet clinics to offer a truly digital experience to both existing and new customers, enhance engagements with their clients and generate additional revenues.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
PetPanion will be the first and only app in UK that enables pet owners to request and store full medical records from their vets and offers a digital platform for all stakeholders, including pet owner, online vet, family vet, trainer, dog walker and pet sitter etc. We put technology and data science at the very core, combining with our knowledge and experience in veterinary medicine and health insurance. With our pet risk profile module powered by AI, we help pet owners to understand what they can do to improve their pet’s quality of life and life expectancy, including a pet health check module which collects updated pet data on a regular basis. PetPanion makes vet care more accessible and affordable while bringing new businesses to vets.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Our vision is to empower every pet parent on this planet to live a healthier, happier and longer life with their pets hand in paw. Dog Trust UK reveals "A common reason for pet abandonment being that owners are unprepared for their puppy’s behavioural development as they get older, as well as the amount of time and care needed to look after them." PetPanion is a free app which offers accessible and affordable pet healthcare according to your pet's breed, age, medical conditions and any special needs. Certain breeds are more prone to certain diseases or behaviour problems, with PetPanion app, pet parents will be able to see a detailed summary of their pet's wellbeing with potential health risks and preventative tips , backed up by expert advice from leading university and veterinary professionals. Our daily life has moved to digital gradually and PetPanion aims to digitalise the pet world to promote a healthier lifestyle for pet parents and their pets.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
To measure progress in partnerships, we will be looking at numbers of partners. Currently we are in conversations with 2 leading universities, 5 charities, 3 top vet groups, 5 pet retailers and 2 pet insurers. We would love to use technology and data science to fill the gap between academic research, charity, insurance and pet businesses. We are launching PetPanion app in February 2020 as well as web portal in June 2020. In order to measure progress in user acquisition, we use the following metrics to monitor user growth of individual pet owners, vet clinics and service providers: 1) Downloads 2) Churn rate 3) User location (and other demographics) 4) Daily/Monthly active users 6) Retention rate 7) Revenue 8) Organic user growth rate 9) Lifetime value (LTV) 10) App ratings & reviews.
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
1) Use digital marketing via social media and email marketing; 2) Attend pet events, vet conferences, pet trade shows; 3) Our main strategy for acquiring users and scaling our impact is through partnerships with research bodies, charities, vet groups, pet retailers and pet insurers. For example, a leading vet group has a pet health club with over 400,000 members whom we are looking to pilot with and improve our app and portal.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
- PetPanion app empowers pet parents to store everything about their pets digitally at one place, received personalised pet healthcare and get rewarded for completing various tasks to keep their pets healthy;
- PetPanion platform enables vet clinics to offer a truly digital experience for their clients from appointment booking to online consultation, generate additional revenues and creating a new communication channel via the app.
- Pet business owners will benefit from pet profile sharing that includes medical and behavioural information to save time on admin work
- PetPanion supports various charities via donations (meals and cash) by pet parents redeeming their rewards.
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
Short term: We are self-funded and developed the PetPanion app that is to be launched in Feb 2020. We are also applying for university grant to develop machine learning modules.
Medium term: We are raising angel investment so we can start to build the web portal for businesses (i.e. vet clinics, pet insurer, service providers etc) and launch market campaign.
Long term: We will consider crowdfunding and further capital raise from venture capitals.
We have a few revenue streams including: 1) subscription fees for premium memberships from pet parents, vet clinics and service providers 2) targeted sales and affiliate marketing 3) commissions of product and service sales 4) Commission of pet insurance policy sales and claims handling
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
Currently we have 2 FTE (CTO, CEO) and 1 part-time (Chief Veterinary Officer). We are building an advisory board of 3 members (one specialised in veterinary medicine, one specialised in insurance, one specialised in AI & blockchain). We plan to grow our team to 8-10 headcounts in 2 years, including in-house teams for IT development, marketing, provider network, insurance, B2B sales, customer service.
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
Purina is all about "creating richer lives for pets and the people who love them", so is PetPanion. We hope to form strategic partnership with Purina and bring PetPanion to every pet parent on this planet, especially those who cannot afford quality vet care and struggle managing their pets' wellbeing. Technology has changed our lives, and we would like to use technology and data to improve our pets' quality of life and life expectancy. The prize will enable us to carry out further research with universities and implement into our platform. We have seen too many pets are being abandoned due to health issues and big medical bills, and we are on a mission to stop that.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?