A device that for your dog is a different and stimulating game and for you it is a precious ally to safeguard his/her health.
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
Website or social media url(s)
Fostering emotional intelligence and behavioural competences
Enhance physical activity and wellness
Revolutionizing veterinary care for pets
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
Some time ago Francesca's dog, one of the partners, was not well: she wasn't barking and yelping complaining about the pain. Then she went to a veterinarian friend Antonella, another partner, who explained that Nica, the dog, had a strong periodontitis that could lead to systemic health problems. A very common situation, but one that is often underestimated because few people check the health of their dogs' teeth. So they started looking for some tools that could help them understand clinical symptoms first and there was no such thing on the market. Thanks to social networks, they contacted others and then developed the business plan.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The care and well-being of our four-legged friends are our priorities. We are aiming to prevent chronic diseases that in the long run risk compromising both the health of our friend and the owner-pet combination.
Obesity, poor oral hygiene, behavioral disorders are just some examples of alterations that, if neglected, can also degenerate into pathologies.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
A super-tech, ergonomic, useful device with an attractive design which encourages him/her to play .
It measures the salivary pH to warn you when it is time for oral hygiene, checks the temperature to hold it off, monitors his/her movement as indication of any behavioral alterations and quantifies any daily physical activity and examines heart rate and saturation.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
Currently there is no single product that combines the characteristics of SmartOsso. Unlike traditional salivary pH analysis tools, it offers a quick and no-need reading of samples of biological substrates to be taken with specialist and / or painful methods at veterinary studies.
The same applies to body temperature, which in animals is measured only through a rectal thermometer, which is annoying for many animals, and impractical for the owner.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Smartosso is a device that manages to identify some changes in the animal's physiological parameters, providing the owner with a simple and immediate key to reading and at the same time offering a game and fun tool. It does not replace your trusted vet. It simply helps you understand when it is time to intervene and take your friend for a medical check-up! Measure the salivary pH to warn you when it is time for oral hygiene, check the temperature to keep temperature rises at bay. The data is sent to the owner on an app installed on the mobile phone or on an electronic device.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
The integrated offer will consist of the physical device combined with a free or premium app. In addition, covers or spare parts can be purchased. The device will have three formats, based on the size of the dog. The customer decides whether to use the premium paid app that will allow, in addition to the basic features, to have additional medical information, a pre-clinical evaluation of the dog's health and contact with affiliated veterinarians.
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
In order to reduce the risk of the development phase associated with the start-up, the production of SmartOsso will be outsourced for the first 36 months. It is believed that experience and contacts in the sector will allow the company to manage the flow to the production site of the material produced externally in a "cost-effective" way.
Product quality verification activities will reduce the company's labor costs, which may use less specialized staff. Nonetheless, the company will maintain full quality control through a rigorous testing process.
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Smartosso is the best way to combine play/game and health for your four-legged friend. Just by playing and without even realizing it, you will be able to monitor his/her health. It helps the owner interact with his/her friend, creating a fundamental moment of playing together and causing no damage.
A device that for your dog is a different and stimulating game and for you it is a precious ally to
safeguard his/her health.
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
Francesca Triolo – CEO - Advertising e communication
Antonella Ieracitano - Scientific manager, Veterinary surgeon
Giuseppe Melia - Marketing Director, Visual designer
Domenico Rositano - Financial Director - Serial innovator
Filippo Ruffa - Production Manager - Phd Engineering
Francesco Tropepe - Production Manager
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
By acquiring new partnerships and further improving the device
12. How did you hear about this challenge?
Recommended by others
Purina page or contact