The first marketplace app to get healthy puppies in the right place
Thanks to Blockchain technology, all pets are given a unique digital ID within the supply chain to fight the growing dog smuggling business.
App view Passport
Supply Chain Model
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
Initiative's representative name
Vincenzo Vento (Founder)
Markus Gabriel (Co-Founder)
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Where are you making a difference?
US (CA, OR, WA)
Website or social media url(s)
Fostering emotional intelligence and behavioural competences
Re-imagining the role of pets in society
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
Ourfamily got a new puppy, where the origin was not clear, nor did we have any information about vaccinations or the general state of health. The animal passport was only partly filled out and as it turned out later at a vet's when the puppy died, it was also forged. The price of the puppy was incomprehensibly high and on request of friends and in internet forums, this intransparency is a common practice with many breeders and animal dealers. Unfortunately, many are not informed when they buy a puppy and indirectly support the illegal black market! The results are broken hearts, horrendous health costs and much worse, it is ultimately innocent animals who suffer. As an inspiration for this as it happens to many petowners, CogniPet was born!
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The illegal dog smuggling business globally has experienced immense growth. Dogs purchased for as little as $50 are transported to the US where Americans are not only willing but able to pay as much as $1,000 for their new pet. Sadly, many of these animals come from inhumane conditions and carry life-threatening diseases. As dog smuggling business continues to raise due to popularity of pets, there is an innovative solution for.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
CogniPet is an intelligent marketplace app between pet seeker and breeders. Thanks to Blockchain and Facial Recognition technology, the animals in the system receive a unique and secure digital identity which can be linked to genealogical and medical data for supply chain traceability. By leveraging such capabilities, CogniPet will help to fight criminal puppy smuggling and underpin a billion dollar market with necessary transparency.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
All pets receive a unique and secure digital identity. Pet parents can explore the pets by breed, location, and pictures through the apps search engine. The origin, milestones and genetic information can be seamlessly mapped in the supply chain, e.g Birth >> CogniPet ID >> Breeders/Vets >> PetParents >> Animal Shelters.
Passionate breeders place their animals to a showroom, taking animal pictures and store their identity forgery-proof in pedigrees in CogniPet system.
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
With our project, we are not only addressing a large mass of people with a wide reach, but are also offering a space for emotional freedom and social impact in regard to our four-legged companions. We support in changing perception of consumer towards ethics and pet welfare, we strive for pet refinement and humanization and the digital lifestyle of younger generations and millennials. We look forward to you.
6. Impact: how has your project made a difference so far in terms of both business outputs and social impact? How do you plan on measuring progress?
Progress will be tracked within:
* DAU/MAU (Daily and monthly active users)
* %-of logged-in Users
7. Growth strategies: what are your main strategies for scaling your impact?
There is no costly scattering loss. Nobody gets an ad that doesn't have a pet. Acquisition is carried out as follows for CA, OR, WA and Texas:
• Breed-specific targeting via Facebook and Instagram to ensure download
• Use of Google keywords for customers with recognizable purchase intentions
• Word-of-mouth Marketing (branded photo sharing on social media)
• Cooperation with animal-protective organisations
8. Creating shared value: How does your initiative create value for different stakeholders?
Once our technology reduces demand, irresponsible overbreeding and fraudulent importation will hopefully cease. We strive to help create jobs and boost the economy. CogniPet has a strong go-to-market strategy that is focused on growth and promises high returns within a few years. In addition to the enormous investment opportunities for our investors, we believe in a regulated environment, where not only supporters but also participants in our ecosystem feel in good hands.
With the new laws and regulations that have evolved in favor of animals e.g. AB 485, we are pleased that with CogniPet we are complying with these new regulations.
9. Financial sustainability plan: can you tell us about your plan to fund your project and how that plan will be sustainable in the short, medium, and long term?
Raised some funding. Financials will be provided upon request. Beta Version is ready, please download here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/gtANUvZM
10. Team: what is the current composition of your team (types of roles, qualifications, full-time vs. part-time, board members, etc.), and how do you plan to evolve the team’s composition as the project grows?
4 FTE (CTO, CEO, CMO, LeadDev), 3 part-time, advisory board (3 members). Planned team size growth to 12 headcounts in 2-3 years
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
It will be much easier to operate within a strategic partnership and growing together. Achieving and developing markets in common within a fantastic product and decreasing demand for false rescue puppies sold illegally in the US from puppy mills and fraudulent breeders.
12. How did you hear about this challenge?