"Voy por tí- Actívate"
Programa de envejecimiento activo en el que las personas mayores se empoderen, creen vínculos de apoyo mutuo para prevenir el aislamiento
I confirm that I am fully aware of the eligibility criteria and terms of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize and, based on its description, I am eligible to apply:
Yes, I’m eligible
Yes, I’m 18 years old or older
Should you be successful, please confirm your availability to attend:
Additional Skype interview(s) during the week of March 16-20th 2020
The Purina BetterwithPets Forum in Paris, on 3-4th of June 2020
Initiative's representative name
Julia Correa Carregal
Initiative's representative date of birth
Initiative's representative gender
Headquarters location: country
Headquarters location: city
Website or social media url(s)
@yaracangalicia (facebook & instagram)
Enhance physical activity and wellness
What is your current yearly budget for the initiative? If you are an idea stage, what early budget you would need to kick-off and run operations in your first year?
for profit: an organisations whose main goal is to make income through business gains
educational institution: an organisation dedicated to teaching and learning, including primary, secondary, tertiary institutions, and vocational schools
1. Founding story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder(s) to get started or the story of how you saw the potential for this project to succeed.
This is the story of my aunt and 2 friends of her who after a working life, are 70 years old, retired, widows and without children or grandchildren to care for.
Older but active women wanting to help society, but also in need of psychological support. Hence the idea of providing a psychological assistance service through dogs and creating social impact activities such as helping the rehabilitation of protective dogs or going to schools to teach value education workshops with our therapy dogs.
2. The problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
We want to help women in an active aging program in which, through Assisted Interventions with dogs, in occupational activities, the elderly are empowered, they believe mutual support links to prevent social isolation, favor the community participation within your municipality and reduce your perception of loniless. assuming new roles, generating new social relationships and motivations that invite them to leave the loneliness unwanted.
3. Your solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
These workshops will be held in groups of up to 10 people, work will be done ONCE per week, under a flexible structure according to the needs assessed and specific to each group,
We work from the area of occupational therapy, psychotherapy or social work, in the that an expert in Animal Assisted Interventions joins the rehabilitation team together with social support dogs trained to promote wellness and provide personalized attention to each case.
4. Innovation: How are you innovating or using unique approaches to solve the problem?
3 workshop areas:
1) I KNOW MYSELF-I KNOW YOU: Activities of individual therapy or group
2) I ACTIVE: Creation of set material and realization of active dynamics
3) I ACT:Execution of plans for community
5. How does your project harness the pet-human bond to help people develop important social competencies (For example: emotional intelligence, collaboration, empathy, resilience, inclusivity) and overcome serious societal issues (for example: violence, abuse, trauma, isolation, abandonment)?
Through the link and work with a professional therapy dog we achieve:
.Foster interest in social participation activities
• Involvement in the social and community life of the neighborhood and / or the city
• Know themselves, their interests and motivations to stay active
• Reduce the perception of unwanted loneliness goals
• Promote the creation of friendships and support among older people
. Improve the perception of themselves and their abilities
11. How do you plan to influence your field of work if you are a winner of this edition of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize?
In Galicia we have the largest number of elderly people in Spain and we believe that this pioneering project will help to create more needs of this type and will help us that the autonomous government and other institutions want to carry out initiatives of this kind
12. How did you hear about this challenge?