Better Living For All
Renovationg homes for better living.
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Facebook: Caila Richardson
May 30, 2018
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
For the past couple of years I’ve always been into interior designing but as I scrolled on social media and the news I noticed there was more that needed to be done. People are without homes and no one seems to care and if they do they haven’t seemed to do anything about it. So I felt that what better way to do something I love than to do it for the community.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
Many people in the US and across the world may have horrible living conditions or may not have homes at all. I would like to make a change by building new homes and renovating old homes so that everyone may have a safe and comfortable place to live.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
I am going to school to become an interior designer but these past months have shown me that more needs to be done than just decorating a home. Creating homes for people that need them will give them a platform to get their life back on track. I would like to work with different construction companies, designing companies, etc. to begin to give people the life they deserve.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
If a person decides to help and get involved not only will the see the change that will happen in the community but also see how it makes them feel as a person by helping others. They will be able to help every step of the way making sure every detail is just right.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
I see that most people who rebuild homes is just for their benefit or just to make a profit, I want to help the community and not in just one city or state like most who do projects like these. I believe it is possible that I can also go around the world and make this change.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I know I will be making a difference when I see families are happy. The joy of having a home and being able to find a way to take care of their family in a safe environment and giving someone hope that this is just the first step.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
Since I am still in the idea stage I would like to raise money to buy land an also old rundown an unused buildings. Now I know this will have to be a lot of money but I believe that I can do it. Of course I would start small and work my way up, but once this idea is of the ground there will be a change.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
To make this a reality of course I would do fundraising to cover the financial aspects, then I will work will businesses, schools, etc. to get the community support as well as possible volunteers. I am in the middle of creating a project to make it easier for people can really se what change we want to make and offer donations or help. I do know I have some friends and family that will get on board as well.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
Of course there are other approaches to this idea. Like I stated in question 8, I know some friends and family that would be willing to help. Of course I do not have the funds to pay them for their help when we start but as this project continues to grow I will give back to them for their help. Since there are changemakers across the world they could be of possible help to us to go to the country they live and let us know which area needs a change.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Black or African American (for example: African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somalian, etc) (8)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
No, I do not identify with an underrepresented community
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?