DUENDE: a quality of passion and inspiration.
After shot (after being serviced by duende)
Before shot (before serviced by duende)
This is me 1/27/18 promoting Duende with the background I created!
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
www.duendebymir.com (under construction until 6/10/18)
My name is Amirah and I founded Duende by Mir in November, 2017
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
Nineteen with two hands & two feet and the urgency to help others. The two words that probably come to mind when we say the word change are how and when. Imagine not having a place to rest your head, not knowing where or when your next meal is coming from, being shunned from most of society, and dealing with everything on your own (health issues, etc). Most of you reading this have never had to go through the pain and discomfort i'm describing. So what's my story? I grew up raised in a single parent home. In 2014 I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Dealing with these issues i had no outlet except creativity. In 2015 i was admitted into a mental hospital because I posed a threat to myself. Growing up poor and without a father affected me in many ways; I unhealthily self medicated. In 2017 i decided I want change, to do more, to be bigger than myself and my background, happiness.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The problem starts with us as a whole, and how we treat each other. There are many issues amongst us but for now my main focus is creating care packages for the homeless & spreading positivity. when we start to realize we ll share the same earth, we should feel more inclined to do good. Changing one person's views will have a ripple effect.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
I plan on using my creative skill in the art world to reach all ages to challenge their thought process. "Duende by Mir" is a makeup and clothing brand I started in November. Anyone can get their makeup done and anyone can wear my unisex clothing. Makeup services include proms, weddings, special events, recitals and just a night out. If you choose to get serviced i challenge you by asking "what's on your mind" that conversation can lead anywhere but it usually comes back to self image. How you see yourself is most important and through duende one of my main goals is to get you to realize your true beauty which comes from within. After great customer service and when you are ready to pay for your service, I let you know you are getting ready to help someone in need. if you are not a makeup fan the clothing will suit you, 5% of all business proceeds go to duende charity funds. Duende charity will hold on to that money for a 6 month period. Every 6 months Duende will hold an event where anybody can volunteer to spend the day making and giving care packages to the less fortunate, in areas like the city and suburbs. One of the most important factors is to let people know they helped!
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
When you get involved with duende you will have fun and be most comfortable.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
The difference between my project and others is that you can still benefit from helping others, rather than just "giving" not that just giving is an issue, my project makes it not only learning experience but a fun one. With great customer service, it should motivate you to either come back or do good and make change on your own!
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
So far I am in the beginning stages of my project but I hope to help as many people as I can.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
So far I am holding photoshoot events in the philadelphia area doing makeup for free, selling clothing to get my name circulating in hopes to expand my business so I can reach my goal of helping others. I will do as many as I can until I reach my goal.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
As of May 30th, I have the much needed support from my family. When it comes to help, my Mother and two sisters are all I have. They help me with events and constructive criticism; everything financially is on me.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
I am open to anyone who wants to make a difference in this world! I would love to pair with more creative minds for brand ideas and more volunteers when I hold charity events.
How did you hear about this challenge?