natural. simple. sustainable.
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Currently in progress! We are working hard all summer on our online personalities, including our website, our YouTube channel (where we will post informational videos, diy videos, artistic videos, travel videos, and more), Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
January / 29 / 2018. This is the date that the idea of creating a natural, simple, sustainable brand came into mind. As time has passed, it has become much more than just a brand with sustainable products and services. I now refer to it more of a club, or a community of people that share the vision. We will work together as a community to make the world a better place.
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
I have always had the need to create my own career instead of going into an established job/corporation that would require me to work indoors with no room for creativity. I started to think more in depth about what matters to me, which includes living naturally, simply, and sustainably, and how I could incorporate those values into a career. I began my vegan/zero waste/minimalism journey a while ago, in hopes to reduce my carbon footprint and leave as minimal an impact on the planet as possible. Building up these small local businesses will allow me and so many others to live extraordinary lives. Lives and careers that we are passionate about. Lives and careers that allows us to create every day and leave the world a better place than before. Lives and careers that do not destroy our planet and all of the species cohabiting our planet.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
I believe that many of today's societies are very corrupt and toxic. I believe that there is a better way to live, which requires us to change our lifestyle, to change our perspective on our lives. There are countless data showing how our toxic lifestyles are destroying ourselves, and our planet. Earth is our loving mother; she provides everything we need for us. We must protect her at all costs. We cannot continue on this path of destruction.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
1) We will promote this lifestyle. We will inform people of the truth of our actions (how our methods of production of food, products, and services, are wasteful and destructive to the planet) and how to make changes on an individual level (do-it-yourself projects, etc.) so that we can begin to mend the wounds that we have already inflicted upon the planet.
2) We will provide sustainable alternatives to goods and services from every industry. We believe that everything we need is already on the Earth, and there is no need to continue manufacturing in unsustainable ways. All of our products will be custom designed (clothing purchased from secondhand stores, re-purposed into other clothing or reusable bags, jars for cosmetics purchased from secondhand stores, made at home from all natural ingredients, etc.)
3) We will establish local business, run by artists and others that share our vision. This will allow people to practice their passions every day as their dream careers and a means to make a living. Because these businesses will be local, they have a better opportunity to be sustainable. We will have locations with food service, AirBnB, art galleries, and so much more.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
I always begin by asking people what their dream job or career is. So far, every person's answer falls directly in line with what I'm trying to build up. For example, my business partner Sarah told me that her dream job would be to own and operate a bookstore/shop in Minnesota. So many others would love having some sort of location that they can run themselves. Because everyone has different knowledge and skills, everyone can bring something unique to the table. We have graphic designers, journalists, artists of every kind, computer scientists, engineers, construction workers, mathematicians, and so many other people involved already in our plans. We recognize the uniqueness of every individual that shares our vision and wants to help save the planet, and we go from there, to see how their own personal dreams fit into our vision. And they fit into it every single time.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
There are no other communities out there like ours. There are, however, many individuals that share this vision and want to use this vision to create their jobs and careers and to make the world a better place. The issue is when we stand alone as individuals, we can only go so far; in a way we are captives to a society, a society that disables our creativity. That is the purpose of creating this club. It will enable like minded individuals to work together, bring all of our knowledge, skills, and connections together, to create something magical, that has never been done before.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
So far our project has been able to inspire people. To show people how their wildest dreams are absolutely in reach, if we work together towards the "natural. simple. sustainable." vision. It is also worth mentioning that this project is run by women. Furthering this project will help to promote women as leaders and absolutely necessary in a peaceful-functioning society. We have empowered many girls and women to realize their worth and realize how much societies need them in this male-dominated world.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
We need to reach as many people as possible, all throughout the world. To do this we will use social media, especially YouTube and Instagram and our website. This will allows us to promote the lifestyle, and also show people how easy it is to convert and be self-sustainable. It is so easy to convert to the most natural lifestyle, and it feels good to do, and it feels so right! Using social media will be one good way to raise funds so that we can begin to establish our local businesses. Another thing I'm working on is creating and selling my art to raise funds. I (and others) will also be networking in hopes to find donors that would be willing to help us fund raise.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
We need three things. A large social media platform, which will inspire people to change their individual lifestyles. A community of people that share the vision, from all around the world, so that we have people to run our local businesses. And funding. Once we reach people and inspire them to change their mindsets and we receive funding we will be able to begin actually changing how our society functions.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
I believe that there are so many others out there that share this vision, and that hope for the world to move in a more positive and peaceful direction. And I believe that many businesses and corporations out there are beginning to realize their impacts and want to make a change. I have so many friends and family and people around me, including local businesses that are ready to band together and take the next step towards a more sustainable way of living. This summer we are working on partnering with small businesses in Iowa, including Ames and Cedar Rapids, to begin to promote the vision. We are also working with the University, including Iowa State University, to begin implementing even more sustainability practices on campus, as well as changing classroom information. For example, in the food sciences building almost all of the courses involving cooking introduce only cooking methods for meat, eggs, and dairy. We are working to introduce vegan alternative recipes to the classes.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
White (for example: German, Irish, English, Italian, Polish, French) (6)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?
I saw a sponsored ad on Instagram, and I started right away :)