Emergency Signal Display
Don't ever say, "I hear a siren! What am I supposed to do?" again!
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
When I was younger I used to see emergency vehicles trying to get through traffic jams and when I was in the 6th grade I came up with the idea. I entered it into a science fair project, but did not win. We have lights that flash at the intersections but many people don't know which way to move. I came up with an idea of a holographic screen that pops up when an emergency vehicle is coming with a directional arrow pointing where it was coming from so people would know which way they needed to move out of the way. This can also be a smartphone app.
My mom has been in many ambulances and has told me stories about how the ambulance had to honk its horn to get through the traffic at some of the lights on the way to the hospital. This made me mad and sad because my mom needed to get to the hospital fast. I think that my idea could help when there is an emergency.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The problem I am trying to solve is to get emergency vehicles where they need to be faster and safer and to help regular cars know where to move out of the way.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
My Emergency Signal Display (E.S.D.) will use GPS to locate where the vehicle is and have a display pop up on the dashboard or on a phone for the driver to know which way to move.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
I think that there will need to be experts who can make an app to do what I want. There also needs to be someone who can sell it to the car companies so they can put it in cars. Someone also has to create the GPS for the police, ambulance, and fire trucks so they can communicate with a person who has the app. I might need to learn how to get a patent for my invention.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
The flashing lights that let us know that an emergency vehicle is coming is not enough. Drivers get confused where they are supposed to move and sometimes cause a traffic hazard, too. Emergency vehicles get stuck and this causes them to be delayed to help someone. My idea is different because it will let the driver know where the vehicle is coming from and where the driver needs to move so the vehicle can get by.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I have not started my project because it is in the idea-stage. I want to make it so car companies will automatically add this as a safety feature to the cars.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
I would like to create an app for a phone that can let a driver know the direction to move out of the way of an emergency vehicle. I need an expert to show me how. This idea can be added to new cars automatically and it can be downloaded on a phone for a car that does not have the technology to do it.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
I am partners with my brother and my parents will help me. I probably can get sponsorship from my school or my mom's school if I make it into the competition.
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
I have partnered with my brother because he has had this idea for a while but we do not know how to get started. I would like to see a car company or an app store to support the idea so it can be installed on cars or on phones.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
White (for example: German, Irish, English, Italian, Polish, French) (6)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?
Changemaker High School