There's more to life than what you see.
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Snapchat: briiz_world Instagram: hiipster.briiz Twitter: forever_briiz
May 23, 2018
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
I live in a small poverty-stricken area where there are hardly any role models. As a young black girl growing up in the public school system most of my friends lost their virginity before they entered high school and most of the boys had seen the inside of a jail cell.
Almost every year by the time we finish high school a girl is pregnant and one of our classmates has lost their lives to gun violence. And the classroom is never as full as it started when we finish.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
Most of the people here have never even been out of Mississippi let alone the surrounding areas. They have become complacent with the way things are because that's all they've ever known. The cycle of teen moms, high school dropouts, gang members, drug addicts, and Rest in Peace hashtags continue year after year. And there is no one who cares enough to fix the problem especially if there is no personal gain. There is no hope.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
Every 6 months I want to choose at least 20 students from my community and the surrounding areas and take them on a week-long trip to a place they've never been. (ages 13-20) They will feel out a questionnaire and the names will be randomly selected from the participants. Then those selected will do a three-day seminar where they will get to know each other and discuss insecurities, fears, issues, goals, and the purpose of this program. After the seminar, we will go to a place somewhere in the U.S where we will tour the cities greatest attractions, talk to a successful person from that place, and give those young people an experience they'll never forget.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
When there is no motivation how can you expect fulfillment? If a young person thinks there is nothing more to life than what one has witnessed they will have no desire to succeed. This experience will give them a broader view of the world and teach them how education, relationships, and hard work creates opportunity. Creating a desire to want to do better and change their expectations and thinking.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
Honestly, I have never heard of any programs of this caliber or even similar. And this application has a very short time period and I don't want to miss this opportunity to better the outcome of my community.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
By giving everyone a fair chance to experience something they've never experienced I hope to change their view of what life is. If they leave knowing that whatever they want to do in life is possible and that life can be better then I have made a difference.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
Maybe my I will be able to create this opportunity for young people all over the world and travel internationally giving them an even greater view of the world.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
I am very active in my community and I know people who are willing to help and support me.
I will post a flyer with my contact information to find team members who are willing to volunteer. Next, I will give an application to whoever is interested and hold a strenuous interview. And choose who I feel is the best fit for the team.
Financially I will need an office, transportation, and funding to put my plan into action.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
In Algeria the urgent medical aid service are called "SAMU = service d'aide médicale ur
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Black or African American (for example: African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somalian, etc) (8)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
Communities of color
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?