H4H: Hygiene for Homeless
Hygienically Helping the Homeless
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
May 27, 2018
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
This problem is still around because ignorant humans haven't thought of doing this only thinking of feeding the homeless or trying to put them into shelters which is fine and I believe its a good idea but realistically that may never happen. Solving this matters because little by little we can help them but I know just like anyone else does they want to clean themselves just like any other human.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
Iam planning to solve this problem by creating something like a soup kitchen but more like a public bathroom for the homeless that allows them to take showers and clean themselves properly without getting attacked or unwanted stares. Also for women there will be tampons and pads that they can pick up for their monthly use.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
My hypothetical example of my plan in action is a group comes to help volunteer in the facility and be apart of the H4H team, just to make sure everything stays in order. I know I would need someone to maintain the bathroom and to give out the care packages and I was even thinking about haircuts (but that's futuristic). I can do it by myself but iam still in school. It makes a difference because I know I can't do it by myself and I know there is other people out there like me who want to help but never have the opportunity too.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
What's different about my project is that iam taking a different approach at helping the homeless as I said before they are like any human and I know they want to be clean like anyone else especially women on their cycle. As humans I know they get stares and iam trying to make a safe, private place for them. I haven't seen no one take that approach.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I plan to know iam making a difference by coming to the facility and seeing that the people i was dreaming of helping for the longest is being helped and they are happy with their care.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
My ideas for taking my project to the next level is taking H4H to new locations and trying to help more major cities. Maybe more sponsorship's that can help expand H4H.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
I have the support of my mom and family friends. Also any volunteers I can find to come and help.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
I have talked to my mom and step dad about the project and they have given me plenty of ideas of how my project can work in the community. I asked them what I could add or how to make my idea bigger and they did help. I also have talked to some of my friends about helping the homeless in general and they were pretty into it and wanted to help.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Black or African American (for example: African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somalian, etc) (8)
Self-identify race, ethnicity, or origin: (5)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
How did you hear about this challenge?
T-Mobile page or contact
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?