"Ensuring your communication"
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
We start the idea in March/04/2018
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
We see many people that beacuse of sickness like laryngeal cancer or accident can't talk and is hard to communicate to families or medical staff. Also the hospitals' sue payout for bad communication to their patients is about 12 billions dolars in all USA.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
We start with a prototype called "T-help". It is a GUI medical device, where there are icons representing feelings, decisions, pain receptors, among others; protecting hospital employees from any misinterpretation and avoid lawsuits.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
A member of our team, his uncle had a stroke and could not communicate orally but could move his fingers. Then we started to make the prototype so he could communicate and that's how it was. With simple and easy-to-recognize buttons, I help to communicate with their relatives and doctors. Also other person use our application of android to communicate to his parients.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
Today there are many emergency devices for hospitals in patients' rooms or even in homes and nursing homes. However our prototype can also send an emergency notification but helps them communicate with other people like families or doctors.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
We compete in Robot Maker. This competition was of all the public high schools of Puerto Rico doing a company related to the robotics and selling it. There were prototypes related to health like us, while others had agronomy, security and exploration. We won first place and we even went to the Puerto Rico newspaper "El Nuevo Dia".
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
Have meetings with the experts in the industry to continue refining our business model. Seek funds from either SBTRs or From competitions like PRE18 or Idea Seed from Guayacan. Search for a work team to start working on the cloud platform and expand; since it is a limited group.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
We will look for investors by connections or by internet and social networks, as we happened here to actually make the prototype. Also upload the androided app by play store at a cost of .99 cents to start with a money to our own account.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Donations between $1k-$5k
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
Actually, our electronic workshop teacher was the one who told us about the competition and then we started to set up the company and the prototype. But other people like our parents and friends we told them about this; although they were not inside the competition group, they helped us in constructive criticism and advice.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Hispanic, Latino/a, or Spanish origin (for example: Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuba, Salvadoran, Dominican, Colombian) (7)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
No, I do not identify with an underrepresented community
How did you hear about this challenge?