I want to warm up the world, one blanket at a time
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
I wanted to create this project because I have always had a heart for helping people. I have helped the homeless around my community many times, and saw how little they had. Upon further research I found that many winter shelters don't open until it's well below freezing, and many deaths are caused by it. I want to help stop this, and give people a chance to get blankets, and jackets, that they may not have access to otherwise.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
I am trying to solve the problem of all the deaths that occour during the winter, due to cold weather. I'm trying to make sure people are able to get access to things that will help them stay warm
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
I'm am attempting to set up donation boxes at local stores that are willing to let me, and I will ollect things such as: blankets, bed linens, and jackets. I will donate the things I collect to charity's like metro relief to distribute them. I hope to eventually be able to create my own charity and distribute them myself.
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
At the stage I am in, if a person were to join, I would task them with finding contacts, and places willing to let us set up a donation spot outside of. I would also have them work on fining ways to get publicity. If a company was willing to get behind me, I would not shy away from their support, I would also have a donation spot set up at their location, drawing in business.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
Winter warmth is different because it try's to focus on a singular problem. Most other places are divided between many different problems, and do not have a singular focus. My charity is focusing on the one problem of people living in freezing temperatures with no protection. My charity also wants to focus on problems that I can solve, and not issues that are out of my reach.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I have reached out to a few people to set up donation spots, however nothing has materialized. Since my idea is mainly in the idea stage I have not made any major strides. I do hope to be able to help those living in poverty or on the streets in the Dallas and Fort Worth area. I also hope to, in time, Expand past a local area.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
I am working with a fellow startup to co campaign, and set up donation spots at fundraisers with them. I also hope to gain partnerships with larger companies, and organizations. Another goal of mine is to also expand past a local, and breach out.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
For my project to take off I would need a way to make connections with larger corporations to set up donation spots, and help to drum up publicity. I would also need to create a website, I have a rough draft of one but I hope to hold a more professional domain.
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
Many of my classmates are creating things to help the community as well. I have already made plans to create a shared publicity. A local charity started by some friends of mine have connections to people with the city, and are agreed to set up donation spots at fundraisers of theirs.
How did you hear about this challenge?
Recommended by others
Word of mouth