Hands Off Our Forest
We want to help limit our school's environmental impact by abandoning paper towels for eco-friendly hand dryers.
Additional categories (optional)
Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
March 6, 2002
Help us stay in touch!
812-430-1660, 707 E. 8th St., Mount Vernon, IN, 47620
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Date You Started Your Project Started
September 3, 2019
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
We want to help solve the problem of wasting paper towels and their effect on the environment. Every year, 13 billion pounds of paper towels are contributed to the landfill in the U.S. and each person is responsible for roughly 3000 paper towels. By implementing hand dryers in our bathrooms, our 600+ students and faculty will be reducing our carbon footprint on the Earth.
2. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
We plan to solve the problem by installing XleratorEco hand dryers in the bathrooms in our school to combat paper towel usage and fight the CO2 impacts they leave on the Earth.
3. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project?
We would like to remove the stigma that students do not care about the environment and politics. By starting this club, we are hoping to show the educators around us that we are serious about making lasting impacts in our community and lasting impacts on the environment.
4. Selfie Elevator Pitch: Include 1-minute video that answers the following “I am stepping up to make change because...”
5. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
When somebody joins our club, they become involved in making a difference in our community. We help advocate for mental health, environmental, women's health, and other issues that currently plague our society. After joining, a person can sign up for what campaign they feel passionate about and begin brainstorming ideas for how to address the problem.
6. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
Our project is different from others because we are a small group of students with big ideas and dreams of making a lasting impact on our small town. We are addressing many social issues rather than just one because we believe we can make a difference in many different fields.
7. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
We plan on making a difference in our community by ridding our school of paper towels and limiting the environmental impact we leave behind. As of now, we have 20 members in our club made up of students who want to make a difference in their community.
8. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
After we implement the hand dryers, we are going to advocate for the use of solar panels at our school and even district wide. By utilizing solar panels, we can help our school save costs to be used to help fund teacher resources and help reduce the reliance on fossil fuels.
9. Which of the following types of expertise would be most useful for you?
10. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
White (for example: German, Irish, English, Italian, Polish, French) (6)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
How did you hear about this challenge?