A VOICE FOR KIDS
We provide a voice for kids in child welfare while they are in schools
Additional categories (optional)
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
Help us stay in touch!
211 S Dill Street Muncie Indiana 47303
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Date You Started Your Project Started
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The problem I am hoping to help solve is a problem in the foster care system where we have so many kids that meet with so many people at school. Or home and still feel alone and needs aren't being met. I know several foster youth and would love to create a mentorship for these kids in care. A place where kids can talk to us like kids and voice frustrations. And to us they arnt just another kid. But our future and that they matter.
2. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
So with everything especially with like DCS we have to look at privacy issues and exactly what can we do and can't do ect ect. So need more connections and insight on that. If we did this how much push back are we going to get by checking up on making sure our kids needs are being met ect ect. And would love to be able to make those connections in schools.
3. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project?
I come from foster care and felt alone. And I went into foster care at 16 with a 11 month bio younger sister. We got split up and 3 years later a month after turning 18 she commited suicide and hung herself. Because of that I feel more kids shouldnt feel like they are alone. And should be able to talk to other people that have been thru what they went thru in order to survive.
4. Selfie Elevator Pitch: Include 1-minute video that answers the following “I am stepping up to make change because...”
I am stepping up to make change for our future generation of foster kids that need a voice not just somebody who thinks about whats best for the child but actually taking it from the childs mouth and expressing it for them as a adult person.
5. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
I had the privledge of being reached out to by a 17 year old who saw one of my posts and she shared how moluch it meant to her and explained to her the problems she was having. And I was able to make some phone calls and make sure she was provided with care that she had not been recieving.
6. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
So the only thing that would come close to what we do is CASA and they do what they think is in the best intrest of the child instead of giving a child a voice. Children in care deserve a voice and thats what my program would help achieve in the schools.
7. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I have engaged audiences of up to 200 people per my public speaking events. Been able to share with differant organizations the challenges foster kids fave and have revieved overwhelming support!
8. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
I would love to get the idea out there. For more people to be able to add credibility. So it would help with privacy concerns. To be able to create a program and be able to also push it forward is my goal!
9. Which of the following types of expertise would be most useful for you?
10. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Donations less than $100
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
White (for example: German, Irish, English, Italian, Polish, French) (6)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?