Campus Leadership Initiatives
A program that fosters a more inclusive environment for first generation students in general education
Additional categories (optional)
Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
Help us stay in touch!
Date You Started Your Project Started
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
I have noticed that many first generation students on campus, such as myself, have struggled with finding their place and getting involved with the organizations that fits them more. I feel that the Campus Leader Initiatives will provide that guidance and tunnel vision that the first generation students long for.
2. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
I will solve this problem by providing leadership training sessions that will help us first generation students to feel like we belong on college campuses. This will also include social gatherings, resume workshops, mentorship, and recognition events.
3. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project?
My story behind why I have decided to start this project starts with my own personal self. I was able to get to college due to an full scholarship offered by my school and I would like to take this advantage to lead other people on campus.
5. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
When a person gets involved with my project they are welcomed with open arms, greeted with high energy, and paired with a mentorship. For example, after deemed acceptance into the organization the fellow will have a warm welcome such as a ice cream social or small dinner gathering.
6. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
My project is different compared to the other programs because I have yet to come across one program that addresses the challenges that first generations face.
7. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
My project has made an significant difference so far. I have secured an on campus adviser over the organization and a lot of confirmations as far as member applicants.
8. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
I am excited to take my project to the next level by convincing my friends to hold information sessions about possibly bringing an chapter to there school and what they think about it.
9. Which of the following types of expertise would be most useful for you?
10. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Donations less than $100
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Black or African American (for example: African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somalian, etc) (8)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
Communities of color
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?
NCWIT - National Center of Women In Information Technology