Compost-pone environmental harm
I am contributing to helping the environment by starting a compost process in my school in order to reduce the amount of environmental harm.
Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
Help us stay in touch!
mailing address: 1889 Ella T. Grasso Blvd New Haven, CT
Date You Started Your Project Started
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Growth (have moved past the very first activities; working towards the next level of expansion)
1. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
I am helping to solve the poor environmental health and sanitation in the world. The reason why a problem like this exists is because of humanity's interaction with the environment constantly, which affects the outdoor air quality, surface and groundwater quality, the amount of toxic substances and hazardous wastes, the home and communities, the infrastructure and surveillance. Solving this problem matters because it can increase quality of life
2. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
I plan on solving this plan by starting a composting procedure in my school, to make sure that all wasted fruits, vegetables, and other composting materials don’t go to waste like they would usually do.
3. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project?
I started to research problems that the world would really needs fixed, then after some researching, I found information about the hygiene of people, and I started to think about how I could incorporate something like that into my project. And as I dug further into it, I found more things about the health of the environment and how much of an effect it has on the world.
4. Selfie Elevator Pitch: Include 1-minute video that answers the following “I am stepping up to make change because...”
5. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
Ex. a person is finished with an apple or has some leftovers from another fruit or vegetable that he/she doesn’t want, and instead of throwing it out normally, he/she will Throw it out in a compost bin. And once that day is done, people from the gardening club will take the compost bin along with others filled with compost materials and dispose of it in a composting area on school grounds. This will reduce all of the bad things that the environment would get just by dumping it in the trash.
6. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
It changes the way we throw out waste.And it is different from other programs or solutions because it focuses on reducing the amount of waste going to landfills, which would reduce the amount of harmful gases such as CO2 and methane that will hurt our environment. My project focuses on alternatives that affects one of the sources of harm to our environment directly rather than using using alternatives that affect the by products of the sources, which is what other programs and solutions focus on.
7. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I have already spoken to the garden club who are very interested in getting the project started. Currently, there are about 7 people in the garden club that will be helping me fine tune the process, collection, composting process. This project will do wonders in reducing the amount of wasted compost materials, like the 54% of fruit that gets thrown out in my school each week.
8. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
If my plan works out, I plan on spreading my project to other schools, to make a bigger impact.
9. Which of the following types of expertise would be most useful for you?
10. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Donations less than $100
Donations between $100-$1k
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?
My technology topics teacher.