Member of the group
Additional categories (optional)
Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
February 19, 2019
Date You Started Your Project Started
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
We are trying to solve social anxiety, people feeling that they have no sense of purpose, stress, and the stigma that also goes along with mental health.
2. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
We are planning to solve this issue by creating a safe and comfortable environment for people to go to when they need to. We would do this by creating a wellness rooms where a counselor could come in and supervise the room. We would provide bookshelves, bean bags, couches, different lighting, and other materials such as a fish tank. With this, kids would have the ability to come in and decompress when needed. besides being able to come and talk to an adult students can also come in to talk to other students. This would help with the social anxiety aspect.
3. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project?
This project was thought about after an I Matter summit in Monroe, Michigan. As youth we feel that mental health is something that people shy away from a lot of the time. With creating these rooms we felt that this would be a key component of how to solve/reduce the stigma. This idea was also created with the rise in school shootings. We are taking these rooms and trying to combat the root of the problem.
5. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
A specific example of a person would vary. You can have youth sit in and talk to other peers while sorting out books and other items as well as taking care of the fish and tidying up.
6. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
This would be a new program because it would be to the kids for the kids and by the kids. While having adult supervision in the room, we would be able to empower youth in the community by giving them the chance to run different components in the room. It gives a chance for kids to show adults what stigmas we feel are important to bring up and it does it in an environment that is safe.
7. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
While just in the beginning stages of our project we have started to talk to our school board and getting permission for this. We have also started raising awareness by putting up posters full of sticky notes so that people are able to grab one and give it to someone they feel is down.
8. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
We would love to provide technology and other resources in the room to create a more helpful environment. We would also love to have this become a state wide project and then expand further from there. Not only just being able to have a room indoors but also to create an outside experience as well for people who prefer that.
9. Which of the following types of expertise would be most useful for you?
10. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
How did you hear about this challenge?
Recommended by others
Article in the news
Word of mouth
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?