Closing the bridge between grandparents and their kids
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
August 26, 2002
Where are you located:
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Idea (hoping to get started in the future)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
My grandma always told stories about her life in high school and all the friends she made. One of her biggest regrets was not reconnecting with those people. Now with the power of social media, we can but unfortunately, a large group of our elders don't have the knowledge to do so. When my grandmother died last year I wanted to do something that would allow others to reconnect with their friends something that she was unable to do.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
The problem of drifting away from old friends and not knowing how to connect with them. We have put our elders in retirement homes and have left them there. Now they are unable to connect with almost anybody but with the power of social media, this is possible once again.
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
We plan on sending students and kids who know how to use social media to build relationships and teach these elders how to reconnect with their old friends. We go to retirement homes and create a group activity that they can sign up for. While using the homes computer lab to help them build profiles and talk to others.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
We have actual high school students do these tasks which allows them to build relationships with the elders but also provide a new energy in these retirement homes.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
We plan on helping the retirement homes around us which would probably 5000 elders in total living in these facilities.
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
We need a larger team of teachers and a larger amount of funding to continue what we have been doing.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
Donations less than $100
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
White (for example: German, Irish, English, Italian, Polish, French) (6)
Asian (for example: Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Pakistani) (9)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
Communities of color
Religious minority (non-Christian)
How did you hear about this challenge?
Recommended by others
T-Mobile page or contact