Bright Future's Music
One-step towards a brighter future.
Eligibility: Are you employed by T-Mobile or related to an employee of T-Mobile?
Eligibility: Date of Birth
August 22nd, 1997
Where are you located:
Oakland CA (94606)
Website or social media url(s) (optional):
Project Stage: Select the description below that best applies to your approach.
Start-Up (first few activities have happened)
1. Personal Journey: What’s the story behind why you decided to start this project? NOTE: All applications must include a 1 minute video that answers: “I am stepping up to make change because..."
I am passionate about improving my community because as a black woman growing up in Oakland I have seen many inequalities in the school system. There are many schools that lack funding for music programs. I want to provide solutions because I believe music is healing for the soul.
2. The Problem: What problem are you helping to solve?
-Lack of funding for music programs
-Lack of mentorship for youth in Oakland
3. Your Solution: How are you planning to solve this problem? Share your specific approach.
-Provide accessible & affordable music education
-Provide a safe environment for kids to freely express themselves
-Provide Job opportunities for youth to generate their own income doing what they love
4. Example: Please walk us through a specific example of what happens when a person or group gets involved with your project.
Our vision is that we want youth in Oakland to be successful in the music industry so that they can generate their own income. Our mission is to inspire and motivate youth so that they can freely express themselves.
5. The X Factor: What is different about your project compared to other programs or solutions already out there?
What sets Bright Future's Music apart from other music lessons businesses is that it caters to low-income families by providing low cost lessons, performance opportunities, field-trips, recording opportunities and provides musician volunteers to be positive mentorship role models.
6. Impact: How has your project made a difference so far?
I am planning on making a difference by starting my pilot program in Oakland at Roosevelt Middle School.
7. What’s Next: What are your ideas for taking your project to the next level?
I will be presenting my enterprise for the Pitch Event May 24th at the Kapor Center located at 2148 Broadway Oakland, CA 94612 6-9pm
8. Future Support: What are the resources needed to make your vision a reality?
I'm currently participating in the 2018 Youth Fellowship Program at United Roots in Oakland. The program provides me with a mentor, network, resources, as well as classes to help me with my business. I have started building my team of volunteers and have a partnership with my old band teacher Mr. Andrade at Roosevelt Middle School in Oakland. I also have the support of my community Oakland School For The Arts, EastSide Arts Alliance Culture Center and The Black Organizing Project. I plan on gaining more partnerships, team members, and parents willing to participate in my enterprise as it progresses. I also plan on contracting with OUSD schools and utilizing after school programs.
9. Finances: If applicable, have you mobilized any of the following resources so far?
10. Ripple Effect: Please share some ideas of how you could partner with other changemakers or involve other young people as leaders in making a difference.
I could partner with other changemakers by providing my music education, big-heart, and network of talented musicians who want to make a difference in kids lives in Oakland though music and mentorship.
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 1 [optional] Which of the following categories do you identify with?
Black or African American (for example: African American, Jamaican, Haitian, Nigerian, Ethiopian, Somalian, etc) (8)
Help Us Support Diversity! Part 2 [optional] Do you identify as part of any of the following underrepresented communities?
Communities of color
How did you hear about this challenge?
Referral: If you discovered the Challenge thanks to an organization or person other than Ashoka or T-Mobile, who was it?
Javiera Torres, United Roots